Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With Weird Problem!

• Please log in to reply

zerkky

zerkky

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My semester just ended for college and I got hooked up with a fresh Dell Vostro 1510 laptop with Vista. It has 4 gb with a nvidia 8500 graphics card as well as the Core2 Duo Intel Processor @ 2 ghz. It runs very smooth...well it DID.

My computer will randomly start lagging very bad (not internet lag) lasting for about 1 minute. On average, it's been doing this every 5-10 minutes and it's very annoying. If I try to maximize something, or hoover over an icon, it takes about 10 seconds before it gets highlighted. It's not my internet lagging because I'm on T1 and it has nothing to do with it. It just lags VERY badly (if anyone is aware of the incredible lag with a slow comp running vmware, that is what it's like).

I DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT have any viruses, spy-ware, ad-aware, etc. I defragged, used CCleaner, and even a registry cleaner but still no luck. If anyone has a solution to this it would be MUCH appreciated. Also, I do keep my laptop open (it runs into sleep or screen saving mode w/e) almost 24/7 if it makes a difference (but the battery charger is always plugged in).

Anyways, if anyone has any solutions it would help me SO much!! Thanks and have a good day.

Advertisements

TIP83

TIP83

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm not a member of the geekstogocrew but I can possibly direct you in places to look.
My first inclanation would have been some sort of Malware but you stated that it isn't.
Please make a list off the anti-malware apps you have installed.

Could your antivirus or something be on a schedule to do a quick scan every 5-10 minutes?
Check the settings on each protective application in your list.
If it is some software you can see which process is the most active during this "lag" period.
To check processes and their details open task manager > Processes tab > organize by "CPU" to see which ones are using up most of your CPU ability. Do this when you experience this lag.

Please get back to us with any information you might retrieve using these steps.

Edited by TIP83, 19 December 2008 - 01:44 PM.

zerkky

zerkky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Ad-Aware, AVG Anti-Virus, and CCleaner. I don't have a scheduled anti-virus scan.

When I lagged I left my Task Manager up. It's usually System Idle Process is around 90ish, while everything else is 0. When I lag, I see svchost.exe at like 40, and taskmgr.exe goes up to 40-60 also. Along with this, I see "System" go up to around 10-11 when it's usually around 0 or 1. Any help with this would be SO helpful..Thanks!!

zerkky

zerkky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyone have any solutions for this??

TIP83

TIP83

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay I've had this problem before.
My source was Windows "Automatic Update"
To fix this I went and set the Automatic Update service to "Manual"
I'm not sure how it's located in Windows Vista, but here's 2 ways of doing it in Windows XP Pro:

1. Start > Run > services.msc
--------------------->In the right Pane Right-Click "Automatic Updates" select "Properties"
--------------------->Set "Startup Type" to "Manual"
--------------------->Then click "Stop" to stop the services which is running now
ok and exit from services window

2. Right-Click "My Computer" and Select "Manage"
----------------->In the left Pane of the Computer Management window expand "Services and Application"
----------------->Select "Services"
----------------->In the right pane Right-Click "Automatic Updates" and select "Properties"
----------------->Set "Startup Type" to "Manual"
----------------->Click on "Stop" to stop the service from running now.
ok and exit from services window

If this fixes your problem, I'm glad but know now you've effectively put Automatic Updates out of commision.
Windows will not get updates without you telling it to.
All you have to do is Run the Windows Update through Start > All Program > Windows Update OR Through Internet Explorer > Tools > Windows Update

Edited by TIP83, 31 December 2008 - 06:38 PM.

BozemanDoug

BozemanDoug

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
If you're still looking...

Google "Timeout Detection and Recovery" or TDR, You'll find thousands of links.
Very common problem with Vista, though very hard to solve.
It's by design to eliminate BSID's.