Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive visible in disk management but not explorer

• Please log in to reply

bobfat

bobfat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have recently suffered the breakdown of a laptop and planned to rescue the harddrive so I can ensure all the data is backed up.

I have removed the 2.5" drive from the laptop and connected via an adapter to my desktop pc.

When I booted it up windows detects the new harddrive and installs it correctly but I can not view it through windows explorer.

I have gone through disk management to assign a drive letter but although disk management can see the disk and that part is in use it will only allow me to create a new partition.

Does anyone know how I can get windows to view this drive or of any software which will allow me to review the contents. Most of the information is backed up so I do not want to pay a fortune for recovery software as it is not worthwhile.

TIA

Rob

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you get us a screenshot of disk managment?

bobfat

bobfat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

Screen dump below, thanks for your help

The item labelled as disk 2 is the problem and as you can see when I right click on it to assign a drive letter the only option I have is to partion

Rob

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_management_screen.gif

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's weird....it's as if it's not recognized as being formatted...but it's obviously formatted...not sure why though

you could try using a linux liveCD (there are multitudes of live linux versions that you can burn to and run off of cd) or if you've got a valid XP disk you could try the Ultimate Boot Disk for windows which will give you a bootable version of XP