Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia 8500GT driver problem

• Please log in to reply

Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi all,

New member here with a little problem....

Back in May I bought a new PC and after endless troubles with what turned out to be a faulty motherboard, I have just received my new PC back.

I plugged everything in and went about installing all my programs etc etc and everything was working fine. Now comes the trouble, when I booted up the PC the next time, the monitor was showing "no input" from the graphics card and has refused to acknowledge the card since. Having looked on the PC it appears theres no mention of the card being there. I have tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from nVidia website, I have even checked the graphics card is firmly in place, but to no avail.

Everytime I boot up the PC it comes up telling me "new hardware found" with a VGA controller (graphics card i assume?) but every time refuses to read from the installation CD or the drivers I downloaded.

Does anyone know what might be the problem or be able to help me out?

My system is;
Windows XP SP3
Intel Core2duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
3.25GB RAM
G31-M7 TE Motherboard

Thanks all in advance!

(ps I have attached a pic of what comes up when trying to install the drivers from website and disc.)

Attached Thumbnails

• vga_support.JPG
  • vga_support2.JPG
  • device_man.JPG

Advertisements

Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I sorted out the "found new hardware" - turns out it was the onboard grahics it was finding, but still no luck in my computer accepting the grapics card. Its as if it doesn't even exist!

FreddyBoy48

FreddyBoy48

• Pip
  • 5 posts
What driver version are you trying to install? I'm running an XFX 7600GT video card and had this same error message come up when I tried to update my Forceware video driver from 162.18 to 174.xx. Why I tried to update the drivers is beyond me since the 162.18 were outstanding for my system and not giving me any trouble. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone and not try to fix something that's not broke! Anyway, I just reinstalled the 162.18 driver and everything is back to normal.

My advice would be to download an earlier version driver and give that a try. I'm fairly sure your system recognizes your graphics card since XP is telling you that it has "found new hardware". Use the Tweakguide at http://www.tweakguid.../NVFORCE_1.html and follow the instructions on how to remove and install Forceware drivers. Hopefully this will help you out. Good luck.

Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was trying to update to the 174.xx ones too. But it turned out I had a dodgy card, had a replacement and its working fine :)

FreddyBoy48

FreddyBoy48

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Excellent! Glad to hear you up and running.