Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hopeless ME recovery

• Please log in to reply

ginsane

ginsane

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay so..I've called Compaq (my computer brand)..and Microsoft. I cna't seem to find a Window's ME recovery disk anywhere. It's starting to seem hopeless. Also I believe Microsoft doesn't even support ME anymore.

Is there anythign I can do as a system recovery substitue?...Or find a disk that would work?.. I'm terrible with computers, so any and all help would be great.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
What kind of problems are you having? If your situation isn't too bad, you may be interested in backing up your important data, formatting the drive, and installing a newer Operating System. Be sure you dowload the latest drivers for your hardware devices. You'll probably want to burn these to CD and use them during the Windows installation routine.

To answer your question more specifically, however....NO, I don't know of another way to restore your system without a restore CD. Sorry...I'm not sure that one is going to happen.

Tell us what kind of problems you are having though and we may be able to get you up and running without the Restore CD.

Keep us posted.

ginsane

ginsane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer doesn't shut down when you go to shut down or restart. It just freezes. So I have to shut it down myself.

I get blue screens constantly, I always get a box that says There's too little memory to do something, when I know that there is enough. Depending on how you go about it, Certain programs won't open unless you open certain things first and close out of them..then open the first program.

Just stupid things like that. I tried to do a defrag thing..it got to 4% and said my comp was too damaged to continue.