Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latitude D800 won't boot up consistently

• Please log in to reply

jibanez

jibanez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I purchased my Dell Laptop (Latitude D800) in 2004 and for the past few months, I've had some trouble getting it to boot up. It'll get through various stages of the boot up process and then just black out and start over. Sometimes it'll make it all the way to the desktop and shutdown. After some persistance, I'll usually get a good boot and I'll be up and running for weeks on end. It'll go into and come out of hibernation just fine, when I do that, so I just leave it running. Not something I did often before the problem occurred, but considering how difficult it is to get it to be operational after shutting it down, it's my work around.

I don't think it's an overheating issue, because I can leave the laptop shutdown (not hibernating, but powered down) overnight in hopes of it behaving the next day and it'll still give me the problems in the morning.

I'm running Norton Anti-Virus and it's showing a clean slate.

I'm guessing it's a hardware/powersupply issue? It's obviously way out of warranty, so is there anything I can check myself being a semi-competent but by no means expert computer user?

Any advice would help! Except for "buy a new laptop," however true that might be. :)

Julio

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Buy a new laptop! Ooops! :)

Will the computer shut down if you boot to bios and just let it stay there indefinitely? If it can stay booted in bios without shutting down, then I would say it's a Windows problem, rather than hardware. Try booting the computer and immediately tapping the F2 to get to bios, then leave it running. If it runs fine, then all you might need to do is a Windows repair.