Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NOt so Excel-ent

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nice one, does it let you open excel

Advertisements

dclarke

dclarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It doesn't Keith. When I try to open it now, the installer window opens and it goes to look for something on the CD then it comes up with a message that it has encountered an error (although it doesnt say what the error is) and Excel closes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you go to add / remove then change Office then select repair

dclarke

dclarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Can you go to add / remove then change Office then select repair

View Post

OK Keith - have done so.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What does Excel do now

dclarke

dclarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Keith , it says it has encountered a problem (doesn't say what) and closes.

dclarke

dclarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Keith, would it be worth my while doing a system restore to a point before when the trouble started? Might that sort it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's worth trying, but I don't see why it won't repair itself properly. If you haven't got too many e-mails in Outlook or you can back them up, it's probably best to remove Office then re-install.

Go with the system restore first though

dclarke

dclarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Keith, after the restore I can load Excel, although it says a file, funcres.xla is missing. I will try to restore that filer from the Office CD.

So now I am in a much better postion.

Keith - many thanks for all your help and the effort you put in. Still a mystery why all those things we tried didn't work though. Again, many thanks, I am very grateful to you

Dave.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for sticking with it.

I'm bemused as to how Excel did not install the excel9.olb file when you re-installed it

Advertisements

dclarke

dclarke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Thank you for sticking with it.

I'm bemused as to how Excel did not install the excel9.olb file when you re-installed it

View Post

The thing is Keith - I think it did.

After I uninstalled Excel the file was gone. Then when I re-installed Excel the file was there. But I still got the locked file error.

I am just wondering - is it possible that there was something somewhere else on my computer, away from Excel or MS office, which was telling it that the file was locked and which wasn't fixed by reinstalling or repairing Excel?

JUst for the record, before I started this thread I had completely un-installed the whole of MS Office, then I re-installed it, and the error was still there, so I guess that wasn't the solution either.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Isaw this about Excel not closing completely but figured as it was not even starting, how would it not be closed

Excel

With replacing the file, the intention was to remove the problem one, then have it replaced by a repair or re-install of Excel, which it did not do, no idea why.

I hope Excel performs sufficiently well to let you use it.

If you do remove Office to re-install, try running the trial of Tune Up after you remove Office, it has a registry cleaner and disc cleaner, so you remove invalid entries

Tune Up Trial

Edited by Keith, 06 May 2005 - 03:44 AM.