Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switched from IE7 to Firefox 3.0

• Please log in to reply

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
After having continued problems with IE7, I downloaded Firefox 3.0. My question is can I remove IE7, and when I do will it remove all the active x controls that was related to it. When I switched to Firefox I did not import anything from Internet explorer when I made the change. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks Gamblin22

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
What service pack do you have?

If you have service pack 1 or 2 than uninstalling IE 7 will revert it to IE 6... which may be a better solution than removing it all together.

If you have service pack 3 than you cannot remove IE 7, without removing SP3 first.

Anyways, you need IE 5+ for Windows Updates...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can't totally remove IE, since it's built into Windows structure.
As such, even, if you don't use it (like myself), you should keep it up to date to minimize security issues.
I wouldn't do anything about ActiveX, beside making sure, they have safe settings:
In IE, go Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click on "Custom level" button.
Make sure, that your ActiveX settings look like this:
Posted Image

If you insist on taming ActiveX, you can use:
- ActiveXHelper: http://www.nirsoft.n...s/axhelper.html - to view, and disable ActiveX of your choice
- Active XCavator: http://www.softpedia...-XCavator.shtml - you can even delete ActiveX with this program

Gamblin22

Gamblin22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have XP service pack 3. Sorry I didn't mention it on my original post. Thanks for the advice , as you can guess I'm no computer wiz here.

Have a great day!!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You too :)