Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to split files and programs

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I have XP Pro w/SP3 on a new hard drive.
I've moved my My Documents folder to drive E.
Now I'd like to know how I can donwload and install a program, which automatically goes to program files, and yet have the files/data from that program on F drive.
Example would be downloading Media Monkey. That would go on C drive in Program files.
And I want to save my songs and videos on F drive.

If I do this and restore my C drive will Media Monkey still be able to access the songs?
Or do I need to install MM to F drive?
Same question-if I restore an image will MM still have a path to run properly?
Thanks.
J

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You'll have to start with explaining what are drives C, E, and F?

Also, most programs will allow you to set download folder anywhere on your computer.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Broni,
C is system, E is where I have 'My Documents' and F is where I was planning on putting music and pictures.
Thanks for your help.
J

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What are separate drives, what are partitions? Which one is your new drive? What size? Which one is your old drive? What size?

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Broni,
I apologize for the confusion.
I have 1 WD 1 terabyte hard drive.
It has 3 partitions on it.
C is system.
E has 'My Documents'.
F will hopefully hold music and pictures and videos.
J.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're not saying, how big is C partition, but if it's smaller than 1/3 of a whole drive, I'd just keep it for Windows. That way, if Windows crashes, you can simply reformat, reinstall, and you're back in business without worrying about any data.
I'd keep E drive as Program Files folder, where you install all programs (when you install programs, always select "custom" install, and you'll be able to install that program wherever you want).
You can keep drive F as a storage.
You can reverse E, and F roles.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Adding to what Broni stated, if C drive crashes, you will still have your programs.
The problem that arrises now is that the shortcut executables for those programs do not exist any more. They will not be on the desktop or in the program folder because you redid the C drive.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Adding to what Broni stated, if C drive crashes, you will still have your programs.
The problem that arrises now is that the shortcut executables for those programs do not exist any more. They will not be on the desktop or in the program folder because you redid the C drive.

How fo I fix that problem.
I'm still a novice and don't want tp lose everything.
Thanks.
J

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's gonna be an easy part. You simply right click on ".exe" file, which runs given program, and click "Send to>Desktop". It'll create desktop shortcut.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks. This makes it easier to understand.
J

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i'm gonna add a bit here....it's relatively common for a computer user with larger drives or multiple drives to break up the location of things...usually you'll have one partition/drive for windows, one for data, one for pictures, one for music, or however you want to separate things

and if you want....you CAN install programs to a different partition than the system partition (the one where windows is)...HOWEVER this USUALLY (depends on the program you're installing) only puts certain data files, setting files, etc.... on the second partition.. MOST programs (especially larger ones) REQUIRE a large portion of the actual program functionality to be on the system partition.....so you'll end up with some VERY important parts of the program residing on the C drive...not to mention all the registry entries in windows etc..
what this means is that if your C drive does die...you'll probably still retain the data files and settings for the programs that exist on the other drives...but the programs won't work (or might not work) once you install windows again because the registry entries won't exist and neither will most of the functional parts of the program

if you're installing the programs to a separate directory for the sake of saving space...this would help...if it's for the security of your programs in the event of a system partition failure.....it's not advised

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
dsenette,
Thanks for your input.
The media manager I'm using is Media Monkey. I haven't put anything in it yet because I wanted to make sure I was setting this up properly.(I had a ton of my wifes' music on a hard drive that self destructed. If I lose her stuff again I might die at her hands.)
If I re-install Media Monkey on the system partition,C, then how do I direct the albums etc to a different partition?
This is the part that I want to get right.
Thanks.
J