Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troublesome format

• Please log in to reply

Ayumi

Ayumi

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok so sometime ago I had to contact SONY cust. support because my DVD drive was not functioning properly. It was a hardware issue but they insisted it was not and messed with a bunch of areas of the comp including the registry. Following that they eventually sent me a new drive which after installed would not perform fully. So now there was a non hardware issue. After restoring what I had noticed being altered in the reg. The DVD functioned properly.
As time went on I started noticing other things not functioning properly. For example the system restore would not restore fully any more and my camera was no longer recognized as being attached.
I contacted them again and they told me to format the comp. When I tried that I kept getting errors. I eventually got the format and restore to factory settings to go. However it was not smooth, I got a few pop up messages during the process. As far as I can remember I think they were referring to 3 different programs. At the time I assumed it had something to do with limited time usage agreements, they were all programs that I had long since removed prior to the format.
Ok so now the laptop is (supposedly) back to its factory defaults, however its very sluggish and then some. When browsing over the internet every so often it hangs up and it only starts functioning again after a restart. Overall programs are not running smoothly. And when I shutdown or try to restart it takes forever and a day just to logout and shutdown. I have removed or stopped from running most of the superfluous programs. The start up has been cleaned out. And all updates have been performed through the Sony website and Microsoft.
I also have since been in the system restore options and that area is functioning better now.

So I am not really sure as to what step I should take next.
Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Advertisements

Ayumi

Ayumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
To add some clarification I am using the Vista installation/recovery program provided by Sony which is on a Hard Disk partition of my laptop. I am not formatting and installing through a bootable cd, I am using the recovery program provided by sony with my laptop.

Does anyone think the Sony recovery program erases and re-writes the entire registry, or does it simply save the registry and put the same old faulty registry values back after the repair procedure?

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
The recovery partition on your hard drive has two different features. One is a simple repair install, which basically overlays windows. Kindof fills in the blanks and repairs the OS. The other is a destructive restore which formats and reinstalls the operating system.
The registry values they probably had you change are most likely the upper and lower filters that control how your operating systems accounts for disk drives. They don't really have any control whatsoever of how "smoothly" your pc operates. I would check your device manager to make sure that all the drivers were installed properly after your restore. Or, restore it again and be sure to select the destructive restore.

Ayumi

Ayumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As far as i know i did the distructive format and then restored it. All files and settings were erased.
and when in the device manager there was one error under the network adapters and it was the 6TO4 Adapter. This device cannot start. (Code 10), is what the status read as. I tried updating the driver but it said i have the latest one installed.

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I'd say restore it again. It probably didn't finish properly, considering it's still missing a driver. If you run accross any errors during the process, describe them in detail so we can see what's not working and why.

Ayumi

Ayumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Alrighty..
sorry it took me so long to reply.
I have done the format and the reinstall of my main drive again.
This time i used the disks that were created from the restore partition.
During the reinstall what i notice pop up were these items:
Location Free Player - Expired
What seemed to be associated with Sonic Stage - "This program might not have been installed correctly"
A program associated with Macrovision - "This program might not have been installed correctly"
I am currently updating through Vaio and Microsoft.
When finish I will post again on how things are running.

Ayumi

Ayumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update:
Well so far one event services error popped up. When I looked in the event viewer there were a few in there.
some examples are:
Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB950974 (Security Update) into Staging(Staging) state.
CAPI2, Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at
The SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The Camera is still not working. It keeps saying no input from device. I dont even see it listed in the Device Manager.
oi

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
The camera may be listed in Device Manager as "unknown device". If it is you should update the driver to the one Vaio update will have on its site.
I'm not sure that those event viewer items are important.

Ayumi

Ayumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
There is nothing listed in the device manager as unknown device. I even went through all the categories.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Ayumi,

Do you show anything under device manager with a question mark, red X, or a exclamation mark?

Edited by tuxmaster, 10 February 2009 - 07:10 PM.