Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting with 2 OS back to 1

• Please log in to reply

Calista

Calista

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
I have windows XP professional...2 OS on C and D drives. For some reason the C drive is FAT and the D is NTFS
anyways. i want to reformat and go back to having just one drive.
I am thinking to use the boot and nuke, will it be helpful.?
I do not know how to wipe the 2 drives and make them one again.

thanks
calista

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Hopefully you will identify all your hardware in the computer and have found the drivers you will need need downloaded and burnt on a CD before you start doing this. You do not need to use Boot N Nuke beforehand. Unless you have virus problems it is an unnecessary step.

When you say you have 2 systems on C and D, are you sure that one of the systems is not a recovery partition?If it is a recovery partition you can use it to take your computer back to its original state when you bought it using the recovery program. If you do have 2 operating systems on 2 partitions or 2 hard drives it is easy enough to go into the disk management on the OS you use most of the time, and reformat the partition( drive?)(D?) you don't use. This will wipe all data off that partition and you can then use it as a data storage drive by just adding now folders thru windows explorer to the drive. If you still think you need to reinstall windows clean do the below steps.

First thing to do, after you've done all the preparatory backing up of data and collecting together of the various bits ‘n' pieces you'll need set up your system again afterwards, is to reboot your system, go into BIOS setup( usually the escape key while the computer is booting) and ensure that your system is set to Boot from CD-ROM as ‘1st Boot Device', and your primary Hard Drive as ‘2nd Boot device'. Make the change(s), if necessary, and then pop your Windows XP CD into the drive, save and exit from BIOS setup, and watch for the text message to pop up asking for you to ‘Press a key to boot from CD-ROM”. Make sure you do so!

You will be asked if you wish to install Windows XP. Press <ENTER> to begin the process. You will then be presented with an ‘End User License Agreement' . Read it if you wish (you really should, you know, but very few people actually do) and you should press <F8> to accept the terms and continue.

Because an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you will be presented with a screen asking if you wish to repair it. Press <Esc> to bypass the process (do not repair).

Wiping your Hard Drives clean

The next screen you are presented with is where most people have difficulty. You will be presented with a screen offering some choices of action, and a list of existing hard drive partitions which also indicate existing Windows installations. My suggestion for the best course of action is this:

* Remove existing partitions
* Create new NTFS partitions
* Install Windows XP on the first partition of your Primary hard drive

Highlight the first partition, press <D> to indicate you wish to delete it, and follow the prompts to remove the partition. Continue the process for other partitions. When you've finished removing the partitions, and are left with a list indicating the drives and the ‘Unpartitioned space' they contain, highlight your primary drive and press <C> to indicate you wish to create a new partition. Type the size (in Megabytes) you wish the partition to be, or press <ENTER> to create a partition using all available space on the drive. Repeat the process until you've created all the partitions you wish to have.

A more detailed description of the process can be found in the section “How to partition and format your hard disk using Windows XP Setup” from the KnowledgeBase article “ HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP”

http://support.micro.....5BLN];Q313348

Putting Windows XP on your System

When you've finished, highlight the partition you wish to install Windows XP to (the first partition on your Primary Drive is the best) and press <ENTER>.

Follow onscreen prompts during the process of installation, and ensure you leave the Windows XP CD in the drive whenever your system reboots during the process. If you get another prompt to “Press any key to boot from CD” keep your hands in your pockets! You don't want to go back and start over again!

Note : If you are using an XP Upgrade CD, you will be asked for a qualifying product during installation. Pop the CD with your older version of Windows into the drive, press <ENTER> or click ‘OK' as prompted, and return your Windows XP CD to the drive when asked. You may be prompted to ‘Create a Startup disk' and you can safely ‘Cancel' from that step if you do not wish to create a Startup diskette.

Provide such local information as requested during installation, and also such details of existing Local Networks that the system is connected to. Provide details of User Accounts you wish to have on the system, and passwords if you choose to use them. When the process has completed, you will be prompted to ‘Activate' Windows XP. Opt out of Activation at this stage, because it's better to Activate after you got your system fully set up, and have confirmed that all is working as it should. You can also safely bypass the Product Registration, as it serves little practical purpose.

When all is completed, you will need to enter your password, if you've set one, to access the Windows XP Desktop.
It is not necessary to set a password. Leaving the password blank will make XP boot directly into the system without a password window first. If you have more than one user on the computer you need to have the passwords setup come up before windows starts, so make one then.

Now you will reinstall the software that you want to have on the computer and try to remember all the settings you changed during the years you have used the computer.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 22 December 2008 - 01:08 PM.

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi
yes i downloaded the drivers from the emachine website. I have them on a flash drive.
The d drive was an experiment to see if the pc would be easier to maintain if the files were separate from the C drive. there was no big difference. recently everything started lagging and my connection settings are not right so i thought why not just reformat. from what i read i really only need to put the disk in and restart. another problem is i will go back to normal home xp from professional.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The drives are better formatted in a NTFS vs FAT32. They are more secure.
Also you can keep a D drive and use it for your data (pictures, music, etc).
Install the OS (it will default ) on C. Then if you need to reformat again, you would not lose the data. Of course backup is always recommended because yue never know what will happen.

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
Im sorry it has taken me so long to update. I have been trying to fix a problem. Prior to Reformatting, I went to the emachine website and downloaded all the drivers. after reformatting, I attempted to install and none of them installed. in my device manager i have yellow question marks under "Other devices" Spefically, (Audio Device on HIgh Defintiion Audio Bus) (PCI Simple Communications Controller) (SM Bus Controller) and (Video COntroller-VGA Compatible)

My Audio Does not work. And my Microdrives do not read.

I tried to intall the drivers and no way. not able to install.

I tried all day to figure it out but I am out of ideas.

I am running XP Pro 2002 SP 2

Are there other ways i can make thiese deivices functionable?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you can give me the model of your emachines i will try finding drivers that work. Audio will probably not be much of a problem. Usually if you cure the PCI driver the SM bus drivers are also corrected, as both are considered motherboard drivers and as such usually you need the basic drivers for them.

SRX660

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

It is an Emachine W3507 Desktop

I downloaded the drivers for XP from their site directly but none of them work.

:)

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well I kept trying to install from emachine site. strangely enough 2 of the problems have been solved. I think i will keep re trying to see if the others follow suit.

the remaining devices are the SM controller and video controller

i will let you know how it turns out so u dont search all around for nothing. thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Your drivers you need should be located here http://www.emachines...amp;model=W3507

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The SM controller is usually incorporated into the chipset drivers. It is the first drivers on the page that 123 runner has put up. the video drivers are further down on the same page. Usually these type of drivers are the same for many models so i would check to make sure as the E-machine website lists 4 different desktops for the W3507.

They are

* EL1200-05w
* ET1161-01
* ET1161-03
* ET1641-02w
You should find one of these somewhere on the computer.

The EL 1200 had the Nvidia chipset, as does the ET 1161 but they are different than the 1200 drivers. The 1160 drivers are Nvidia but it looks like they are Windows Vista drivers. The 1200 uses nvidia 12.18 Chipset drivers while the 1161 uses the 12.20 Nvidia drivers. The ET1640 uses entirely different Nvidia drivers that are the 10.1.0.20.32 chipset drivers.

So you need to find which of the above extra model numbers your computer has. Herse where i found this from.

http://www.emachines...ml?cat=Desktops

SRX660

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
I called emachines this morning they said my motherboard was a Intel (Grant County 2) RC410 Motherboard

i searched all over the pc for anthing with E.... I have the model and serial number, the closest is manufactured by EC5t

the driver that is suppose to go to this motherboad doesnt install
i know that the last i refromatted i found everything i needed at the Intel website but i cant remember how to search there now. I cant search the drivers using the model number for the pc or even motherboard.

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
yes, that first download, i tried many times.
If i click on set up it says cannot copy.... cannot read from the source file or disk
the other one for allos runs through but when i click ok to install it immediately says its finished installing.

the SM Controller is still the only thing i dont have.
could one of those files in the XP folder be what i need?

Would it help if i moved it from cabs and put on desk top and try to install?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to what i can find, you have the Intel D102 GGC2 motherboard that is very commom in gateway computers. Since Gateway owns E-machines this is probably the motherboard. Heres a website for Intel D120 motherboards.

http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

If you dont have the media center windows XP version then this is the XP Professional intel drivers website.

http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

You will notice that is says the motherboard has the ATI Radion Xpress 200 chipset so the ATI drivers is what you need. You can look on the motherboard in the computer to confirm that is has ATI Radion xpress 200 chipset.

Heres the basic product guide for the D102 GGC2 motherboard.

http://support.intel...b/CS-022441.htm

The chipset drivers will fix the SM bus problem( System Management bus is for the clock, USB data, and other instructions that are basic to the motherboard).

Here is what a Intel D102 GGC2 motherboard looks like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

SRX660

Calista

Calista

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
How do i say this?

Woohoo

there are no yellow question marks in my device manager. so i guess that download worked. I dont know how u found it. Its v odd because last year i reformatted and i found all the right drivers from intel. dont ask me how but i did. i was definitely missing something this time.

thank you so much for all your help. Im happy
merry christmas
cali