Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to speed up boot and reduce running processes.

• Please log in to reply

sueandneal

sueandneal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to speed up my laptop and carry out a general cleanup preferably without an OS reload. I'd like to know
a) are there any free reg cleaners that come recommended?
b) What processes i can cancel
I guess i am trying to be a bit lazy by not checking each process on google, but why re-invent the wheel? I have ran Hijack this and will try and upload the log file for any assistance. Any advice from you experts will be welcome.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

First we do not recommend any registry cleaners. They do not work reliably and can create more problems than they would fix.

I personally do not stop any processes.
There are a few things that you can start with.
Clean out the internet cache and temp files.
Defrag the hard drives.What do you have starting when windows starts up? In other words, what is in the taskbar by the clock?
You probably have stuff there that you can start manually by the start/programs. We can look at that and shut some down thru msconfig.

sueandneal

sueandneal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for reply;
I have done all you suggested and have been playing around msconfig for a while now. Defragged hard drive only running avg which in my opinion is the least consuming vitus checker i've found. I will continue looking and thanks for the suggestions, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Chers
Neal

freewaremaster

freewaremaster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
this is my usual clean up process.
1. update all applications.
2. delete all temporary files in XP C:\Doc&settin\user\local setting\temp and in the same directory temporary internet files.
3. go to safe mode and make a full scan then delete all detected items...

thats all.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

Download, and install Quick Startup: http://www.glarysoft.com/qs.html
Go File>Export, save report, and paste it into your next post.

BTW, AVG 8.0 does have hogging issues.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I would suggest the Microsoft "bootvis.exe" that could speed up the PC booting process.

This application will arrange the boot file on the HDD to the sector that is easilest to be accessed when PC powering on.
It gather all the necessary boot up files altogether as well so save time for the PC to look for the boot files allocated all over the partition C.
There are other feature like the driver relay..etc.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager
www.PcTestCard.com

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
BootVis uses technology that's already part of XP. In some cases it can slow down the boot-up sequence. What PcTestCard is referring to is not BootVis, but sounds more like Defrag.