Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file paths

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I have placed my media manager in a different partition than the os.
C = OS.
E = media manager.
How do i get the media manager to work after a reinstall of the os or if I revert to an image of the os?
I have XP Pro w/SP3 and a new WD 1TB hard drive.
Thanks.
J

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I have placed my media manager in a different partition than the os.

Did you install it on this different partition, of did you just move the Program files?

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I installed it on a different partition without specifically moving 'Program Files' and now find that the media program is in a folder(?) called 'Program Files'.
The system Program Files is still in place on C.
J

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I installed it on a different partition without specifically moving 'Program Files' and now find that the media program is in a folder(?) called 'Program Files'.
The system Program Files is still in place on C.
J

It's normal that programs will default to C drive. However, when you change the path letter from C to another partition letter, the "Programs Files" part of the path will not change unless you change it yourself. So, during the install, the program will create a Program Files folder on the partition you specified.

1) Most programs require that system files and registry entries be installed on C drive, even if you choose to install on another partition.
2) The only exceptions are Stand-alone programs and those that are "smart enough" to recreate system/registry entries on first run.
3) So basically, even if you install programs on a separate partition, the program itself will still create system files/registry entries on C drive.
4) Therefore, if you reinstall Windows, you will lose the system/registry files of any program you installed, including those on another partition... which means, you have to reinstall those programs unless the program meets #2 above.
5) If you restore from an image, and that image has the required system/registry entries of the programs on your separate partition, then those programs should still operate.

Edited by makai, 22 December 2008 - 07:20 PM.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thank you for your help.
If I understand this correctly, I'm ok if I restore an image that has been made after installing the media program.
If I restore an image made before the installation of the media program then I would need to re-install the media program and hope I don't lose all the files.
Sometimes I feel like going back to paper and pencils.
Everybody please have a great holiday.
J

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

You had to learn how to use these too! :)

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

You had to learn how to use these too! :)

I'm still learning.
And I've got to learn how to move the songs from Media Monkey in partition C to My Songs in another partition.
Other than that everything is just ducky.
Happy holidays.
J