Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing WIN98SE with PRECOPY Files (.CAB)

• Please log in to reply

psychedelicmedic

psychedelicmedic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Someone please help us!

We are trying to install Windows 98SE with the Precopy files (.cab) installed at the same time to avoid having to insert the windows 98 disc every time we install new hardware. We were shown this method just recently by a friend (who is currently on holiday) which we successfully used to install windows and the precopy files all in one hit. We again are reinstalling as we managed to lose our dll files. Unfortunately we have copied down the instructions wrong, and it isnt working as it should. Wondering if some kind soul could correct...

the instructions after fdisking on the A command prompt;

format c: /s enter
md win98 enter
copy d:\win98\*.* c:\win98 /v enter
cd win98 enter
setup

I can't remember what the command prompts were for each line when we did manage to install this way, but what's happening now is after fdisking and partitioning we end up at the command prompt

A:\> we write ' format c:/s' this formats the disk and leads us back to another command prompt
A:\> we write ' md win98 ' and we are told " directory already exists " and return to another command prompt
A:\> we write 'copy d:\win98\*.* c:\win98 /v' it then appears to copy a series of cab files from D and at the end says 1 file copied and we end up at another command prompt
A:\> we write 'cd win98' which leads us to
A:\WIN98> where we write 'setup'
it then says "bad command or file name"

I know somewhere along the line we should end up with a D: commmand prompt...
what is happening? my brain is starting to fizzle!
my machine is old and slow like me, some young spark please help us out! I first used a mouse in nov last year, so as well as being old and slow I am a novice too.

Cheers, Carl

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A:\> we write ' format c:/s' this formats the disk and leads us back to another command prompt

then you need to type: c:

now the prompt changes and...

c:\> you write ' md win98 '
c:\> you write 'copy d:\win98\*.* c:\win98 /v'
C:\> you write 'cd win98' which leads you to
c:\WIN98> where you write 'setup'

psychedelicmedic

psychedelicmedic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You have made an old man very happy!That worked a treat!Many thanks.
Cheers Carl