Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What kind of PDA/Cell Phone do you use?

• Please log in to reply

M420

M420

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Just wondering what kind of cellular devices we have floating around here. I know some of you use blackberry.

I am in the USA and already on the AT&T network. So far I am considering either the Bold or the HTC Fuze.

If you have either of these I would love your feedback.

My needs:

3G Network ready
Expandable Memory
Durable (this is important)

Other than that I guess battery power is kinda important, but I'm a heavy user so I can't really expect more than 5-6 hours.

Can't wait to hear from you guys!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I have a Blackberry Curve, which is very similar in features and functionality to the Bold (although the Curve is smaller). I find the Blackberries easy to configure and reliable. My previous PDA experience was with Treos and the Motorola Q, both of which seemed to need frequent reboots, and I wasn't very impressed with them

If you want durability, I know the Bold has a leather back - that would at least provide some extra cushioning if it's dropped. They all have memory card slots, so that's not an issue. I find my battery life to be pretty good. I'm a forum addict, and much of my browsing is done from the phone, which is a pretty quick way to drain the battery. I also have 3 email accounts configured on here, which receive email instantly (it arrives on my phone faster than it does on the computer). My battery lasts all day.

M420

M420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks. My only concern is that I'm used to having a touch screen. was it very hard to learn the scroll/wheel bar?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Now the Blackberries have the ball to scroll - it's very easy to use.

M420

M420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Ok. Thanks for the info!

*M420 wonders if Sari has a life outside of G2G. Since she is always here.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP

Ok. Thanks for the info!

*M420 wonders if Sari has a life outside of G2G. Since she is always here.

*sari points M420 to her previous post, in which she stated she was a forum addict.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I use the HTC PPC6800 and I know someone who has an HTC Touch. Both are nice units. If you live in an area with good cell coverage, they will work great. The reception is shoddy at best if you are in an outlying area.

Personally I would never go to a phone without a touch screen. I've become so used to the one on the 6800 that I wouldn't want to go without.

We got a demo of the Motorola Q when we were deciding which phones to go with. I found it very awkward and difficult to work with the phone without touch. It just doesn't feel natural when you're used to using a mouse all day.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

3G Network ready

3G is a buzzword...it means "Third Generation"....which includes the newest revisions of the EDGE network, EVDO (Rev0, RevA, and RevB if it's ever released), and pretty much all current iterations of CDMA and GSM broadband connectivity....so pretty much all phones are "3G ready" right now

I've got the SMT 5800 from Verizon...i love the thing...windows mobile...really easy to use and set up....the only issues that i've had are the poor battery life when you do something silly like talk on the phone (battery will last MAYBE 5 hours for talk time....it can go 3 days without a charge if i just use it for email and texting)

i'm probably going to the the same phone ScHwErV has in january....it's got more features than the one i've got now

IMO....blackberries are annoying....i've not had my hands on a single one that i really like..

M420

M420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I've spent some time with the SMT 5800. It is a little too small for my taste. I currently have the HTC 8525. I'm inclined to stay with the HTC/Windows Mobile line.

Anybody mess with the FUZE ?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've got the HTC Touch Pro, which is Sprint's version of the Fuze. It's pretty nice. The slide-out keyboard is great if you text a lot. It's my first smartphone, so I don't really know how it compares to others. One of my friends has the Bold, and I like my Touch Pro better because WinMo is much more customizable. I've got a nice collection of mods and apps for that thing that wouldn't run on a Blackberry.

Advertisements

Libid21

Libid21

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I use a Blackberry Curve. But sari already said everything about it.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Stettybet, there are a lot of apps written for Blackberry too. I had Windows mobile on my Motorola and wasn't overly impressed. My phone would lock up and require reboots almost daily. I've found games and apps written specifically for Blackberry. I don't think it's fair to compare the two because they're different platforms.

Dsenette, saying the Blackberries annoy you doesn't give anyone else much of a basis for a comparison. My family often annoys me, but I like them anyway.

M420

M420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
*M420 grabs his whistle, and referee jacket. along with some tungsten body armor.

This was not supposed to be a blackberry VS WinMo war! :)

M420

M420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Posted Image

Emma_uk

Emma_uk

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have a Samsung Tocco & it's ace

3G Touchscreen Expandable memory