Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus/Spyware After Windows XP Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply

nkjordan23

nkjordan23

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just a few days ago, the laptop crashed and i got this "unmountable boot volume error everytime i turned on the computer. It would shut down and that was that. I finally found someone with a XP disk and reloaded XP successfully and got past the error. However, after that reinstallation was done, I found all these pop-ups and virus threats occurring. I dont know if what i had was a virus in the beginning or if the disk i used had an issue. All i know is everything is slowed down and i have tried multiple spyware and virus programs to try to clean up my computer. No success.

I am usually pretty good with this stuff, but i am stumped. I use the free version of AVG for my virus protection. I tried using spybot search and destroy, A-squared, and advanced system care. Each of them found errors, but would tell me they couldnt repair them. I have had reports of viruses now with AVG and each time it cannot heal the virus. At this point, i have no clue what to do or how this occurred.

If somebody could provide me a step by step recommendation i would gladly follow it. I have plenty of time on my hands with the holiday to fix this and its a high priority. I get popups constantly and they are different everytime. I also get a popup that says prompts me to connect to the internet when im already connected.

Can anybody provide any advice or help? Ill download and do whatever i need to do to fix the issue. I appreciate any help i can get at this point. Thanks.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Where did the XP disc that you used come from?
Did it have a holographic image on it?
Can you update using Windows updates, or automatic updates?
If this was a disc that was made by a friend it may have had the infection on it and you installed them when you installed windows.
If you are infected I am going to advice you to post in the malware forum, but first I would like to find out if that is the case here.

nkjordan23

nkjordan23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This disc as actually a friends and it was simply burned. It is possible it could have been infected even though i really trust the kid. If this is the case, what is next for me? I am anxious to put an end to this annoyance. Thanks for your response.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please go to http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html and follow the instructions for HIJACKTHIS.
DO NOT POST THE LOG, instead save it to your desktop and then add it as an ATTACHMENT. (see the lower right of the reply screen.)
I am looking for a specific entry, and then we will go from there.
I believe that this is a cracked copy of Windows and is the cause of your issues.
You will most likely have to purchase a valid copy of XP.
Again, do not copy and paste the log in the post, please add it as an attachment.

Edited by hfcg, 23 December 2008 - 07:19 AM.

nkjordan23

nkjordan23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here is the log for my hijackthis scan:

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I do not see the attachment.
Can you copy and paste it in to a PM to me?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am sorry, this is not a valid copy of Windows XP.
You can buy a valid copy at tigerdirect.com , or newegg.com for a reasonable price.