Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is AVG Free compatible with Windows Vista Home Basic

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

I was recently asked by a family friend to advise on buying a Laptop, they needed a basic Laptop and wished to go wireless, within thier budget I drew up a short list and on my advice they bought an ACER 7730 from PC World (The only local PC seller).
When we were buying the ACER the sales assistant tried to sell us Anti Virus software (nothing wrong with that) however when I responded saying no thanks we will be using AVG he replied - you cant use AVG with windows Vista it recognise system files as viruses and deletes them?!?!?

I tried to back up my stance by saying that if this were true it would not automatically delete them but ask for confimatio before doing so.

Hence my question - is AVG Free compatible with Windows VISTA, or is the PC World salesmans claim correct or misguided, I have used it without fail on XP machines for months a couple of years now.
:)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
AVG does not delete system files in Vista.
There are many people who use AVG on their Vista machines.
The sales person lied to sell you some thing.
HOWEVER, I have found that Avira works the best for Vista machines (of the free antivirus) and a lot of people like Avast.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a malware expert. Please review some of the post about anti-virus programs in the malware forums.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks;

Whilst googling a came across the Windows Vista compatibiliy page and it states that Windows Vista 32 and 64 Bit versions ARE compatible with AVG Free edition.

http://www.microsoft...i...y&os=32-bit

I have seen AVAST but not tried Antivira but may give them a go if i get any problems with AVG Free.