Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Connecting to Modem

• Please log in to reply

MithyCat420

MithyCat420

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My husband contracted a virus in his comp.... We had both comps run off of a router from the modem (charter Surf modem , cable internet) He had to wipe his comp completely and start all over... He now can not reconnect to the modem.... he had it done through the usb... but caused me to lose net connection. He needs help with getting his drivers back and ability to connect to our modem. We use a D-Link Router which I am currently connected to and writing here. I refuse to allow him to reconfigure anything on my comp as I am not having any problems with anything. Whatever got into his comp shut down his avg virus vault first and eventually ended up locking out of his comp and requested a password..... his comp was not password connected and mine is...... so in his frustration, he wiped his comp clean and is trying to re-install his drivers he has the disks for. After being on line with Charter support 5 times he has become extremely angry and I am having to hear it.... but being the wiser of the two of us I know there are people here that can help solve this problem in a rational, calm way and have us both back up and running (which I am... but have to live with he is not)... The D-Link Router works fine and nothing is wrong with my connection... He just needs to get his drivers back and get the ability to hook into the modem through our router as it was running before..... The virus/whatever it was was in the form of spyware and did a great deal of terrorizing him. I refuse to allow him into mine to do anything to it because mine works absolutely fine and I have no problems..... but am asking for someone to please help me figure out how to get him hooked back up to the modem and able to access the internet again......HELP ME PLEASE!!!!! :)

Advertisements

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
You didn't mention which operating system you are using so I am guessing it is XP or Vista. Also you didn't mention do you use wireless connection to your router or not. Supposing there is no wireless then in that case you can look followed things on your both of your computers:
Because your computer works fine you should not change anything on your, just look the data from your and make sure all things are the same on the computer of your husband:

1. Open ControlPanel -> Network Connections and find Local Area Network (if you find more than one, make sure you selected active one connected to your router)
2. right click on it and chose Properties from pop-up menu
3. On the new showed window find list item TCP/IP protocol and select it
4. Click button Properties
5. On new showed window you will see one of two possibilities:
A) Automatically assigned IP (in this case all other fields will be disabled) ensure his computer has also same option checked
or
B) Manually assigned IP (fields will be filled up with lot of numbers .... if this is the case then:
you will see IP address in format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx make sure his computer have different last number
for example if your IP is 192.168.0.5 then you should fill 192.168.0.6 on his computer (any other last number will also be valid if it is not in conflict with some another computer (if any) or router in your local network)
All other fields (sub-network mask, gateway and DNSes should be the same as on your computer)
6. On his computer click OK and then OK again (on your comp you can just close windows)

After that, his comp can go out to the Internet

If you need both of yours computers be visible to each other ensure both have the same workgroup name.

1. Open Control Panel and goto System
2. Chose page ComputerName
3. enter workgroup name on both computers ie. MeAndMyHusband
4. Restart computer if it asks for it

Now you can share some folders on your computer (right click on folder you want to share and goto sharing properties and enable it) which would like to be visible on his comp and viceversa

That's it

MithyCat420

MithyCat420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
TY DJI....

Yes I use Windows XP and it is used on both and we use Cable not Wireless... He will give this a try. Many Thanks Again!! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
as for drivers...go to his computer manufactures website and download them to your system...burn them to a cd or flash drive and have him install them...

MithyCat420

MithyCat420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks again for all the help...but alas, the man thinks he knows all and knows better. :) Oddly enuff tho......He's still not connected. But I am!!!!! :) I suppose true ignorance is blissful, but I'm not ashamed to ask for help if it is something I don't understand or can't figure out. :) So I'll still be here a lot. This is a great site !!!!

Happy Holidaze All!!!!

Mithy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did your husband use a recovery disk built especially for the computer?, or was it a full XP cd?
Is he missing any drivers in device management? Go to start/ run and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. When the devices show up, expand them and lok for any that have ? or ! in them.

Let us know what is missing. If he did not use recovery (not all computers have this), then he is probably missing the chipset drivers.
You said he has the CD's, and everything he needs should be on them. If not we can find them.

MithyCat420

MithyCat420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just took him thru that and he says he is missing OTHER DEVICES all of them.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
He has to clear up all of the "other devices".
Does he have the computer CD? specifically the one that would have the drivers?

If not we will need the make and model of the computer so that we may find them.