Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System reinstall wants Restore Plus! CD

• Please log in to reply

abusimbel

abusimbel

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello and thanks much for any and all help! A friend of mine has given a computer to me that his work was getting rid of. He works in IT in the US but the computer is from the company offices in the U.K. He told me to reformat the drive and start clean since the current system asks for a login and all of the data sensitive material should be removed anyway.

So I am trying to start up from a XP Professional installation disk and the computer keeps asking me to insert the Restore Plus CD! that came with the computer. I asked my friend about this and he was surprised. Since he only works in the London offices during network setup I am wondering if this is some sort of hardrive protection that only exists in Europe. Anyway I am wondering if there is any way to get around this other than having the original restore plus! cd.

Call me crazy but it seems a bit to me like inheriting a car and the car manufacurer only allowing you to use gasoline from one company. I mean what if they wanted to install linux or something. You may be at a gas station, you may need gas, but since this is a Shell station you are stuffed as your car only takes Amoco gasoline.

Anyway sorry about the rant. Here is what it says from the system boot disk screen:

Your operating System CD was originally shipped as part of a Restore Plus! kit, for validation purpose, please remove the operating system CD, insert the Restore Plus! CD and press enter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you thank you thank you.

Edited by abusimbel, 24 December 2008 - 06:30 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
From what you are describing, it sounds like you are trying to go back to factory defaults.
It sounds like you are using a restore CD and not a full XP installation CD. If that is what you have, then what you are seeing makes sense.

A full XP home (or pro) operating system CD would not care. You would boot from the CD, delete partitions, format and install (simple terms).

I would think the restore route would be the best way to go because it would automatically load all the board chipset drivers.

Look at the XP cd again and see what it says.