Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble sharing my wireless

• Please log in to reply

Forceshadow

Forceshadow

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I saved up my money and bought my dream desktop system. Got Comcast cable internet on hardline...worked great UNTIL...

Bought a wireless router to give my wife and son access to internet through their laptops. Now I have a lot of trouble watching streaming videos on my system. every 45 seconds to 3-mins it just "freezes" (especially if they are on line).

THIS IS WHAT I ASK:

Can you tell me the BEST wireless router that I can get that can be configured to give my HARDLINE the priority and make theirs secondary?

I'm not too up to speed on configuring networks or anything. But I would appreciate any advice that you could give to help me get back to using my high-speed internet optimally.

Also, is their a way to monitor the Comcast connection to make sure that the problem is not there.

Thanks,

Michael

Advertisements

Forceshadow

Forceshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Bump.
Would upgrading to a better router do the job?

Forceshadow

Forceshadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
anybody??

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Better router probably wouldn't make any difference, something's sucking up all the bandwidth. P2P programs such as Limewire, BitTorrent, etc are good for this. Most routers have basic priority controls in them that don't work anyway. Your best bet would be to find out which family member is using P2P software or is doing a lot of downloading. The whole point of a router is to split the available bandwidth between those devices that need it so if everybody's downloading things will get slow.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The total specs, make/model of current router, would help us help you. If you have the latest like, 802.11n, you shouldn't be having problems. All wireless cards should match to same standard if you want the best out of the wireless connection. I'm NOT making a recommendation here, but take a look at Belkin N1 Vision Router Makes 802.11n With Built-In Screen. Even if you were using 54Mbps, the 3 of you should have plenty of bandwidth. Heck, I was at a RV park which used that and the connection speeds were great even with everyone else connecting to same system.

At 300 feet, 802.11g performance plummets to 1 Mbps. 802.11n networks operate at up to 70 Mbps

There are many reasons why you may have a slow connection and some are computer related and some are server related. I would make sure all your software and drivers are updated to latest version. Especially the drivers. You didn't mention the computer specs, but plenty of RAM would help.

Also, if you have been keeping up with what some IPs are doing now, and ComCast is the worse, they are limiting bandwidth for some customers who may (or may not) be abusing their paid bandwidth.

Edited by Major Payne, 30 December 2008 - 06:24 PM.