Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Problem!

• Please log in to reply

jrojason

jrojason

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I just purchased a new computer and when using my Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, the screen turns black and stops responding after Vista (x64) is loaded. The monitor also works when connected and the computer is put into safe mode.
I've installed the drivers for the monitor and my video card drivers are also updated (Radeon HD4850).
I am currently using a generic flat screen monitor that doesn't require drivers. It works fine at all times.
Also, this monitor was used with my previous system which included the same HD4850 video card, however the previous operating system was XP, not Vista.

I'm running out of ideas for what to try so anything would be helpful.

Specs:
Q9300
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
4 GB DDR2 RAM
ATI RADEON HD4850 Video Card
Windows Vista Home Premium x64.

Samsung SyncMaster 226BW monitor.

thankyou for any help:)

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Definitely sounds like the wrong drivers are installed. I'd boot into safe mode and uninstall them, then return to normal mode. Are these the drivers you used to update your card with?
Link

P.s. Nice Rig :]

jrojason

jrojason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yup, those are my video card drivers that are currently installed... Perhaps the monitor drivers... I'll try to uninstall and re-install them now...

Edited by jrojason, 24 December 2008 - 05:34 PM.

jrojason

jrojason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just did what you suggested and uninstalled the video card drivers from safe mode and now I'm in normal mode and the monitor is indeed working, but no drivers are installed for my video card. I'll try to re-install them now but now we know the problem is indeed something to do with the video card drivers.

jrojason

jrojason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
after re-installing the drivers the same problem as before is still present.
I have opened a ticket on the AMD website, I'll post any answers when(if) they are found.

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Did you try to reconnect monitor cable from one video output to another when your monitor become black?

jrojason

jrojason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The monitor works when when I plug it in through the VGA port with an adapter. I'm now lead to believe the problem must be something to do with the default DVI setting of the ATI Catalyst Control Center...
I'm still looking into this..

dji

dji

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Your display adapter is probably set to dual view .... so there is possibility that you see actually extended desktop which is blank you can easy test it. Does your desktop color is black? If yes, then change it to ie. blue and restart comp so if your screen becomes blank blue (not blank black) then you actually see extended desktop on second output.