Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deciding which Processor

• Please log in to reply

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok I have an asus MB P5KC and an Intel Q6600 processor
What up grade on processor would you recommend?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Why do you wish to upgrade this computer? You can get the newer Q9xx0 processors from Intel, but you won't notice a significant difference over your current CPU.
James

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well figured I just updated my video card to g force 260 g force 8800GTx, it kept over heating and had trouble with drivers constantly,
Only thing left is MB, and processor and memory and of course if I updated to 64 bit system.
The slowest thing in my system according to the Microsoft speed is the data transfer with my hard drive I got a
WD VelociRaptor
3.5-inch SATA Hard Drives
150 GB, 3 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 10,000 RPM
The evolution of 10,000-RPM SATA technology.

So not sure how I could improve the data transfer as Microsoft stated gave me the lowest rating 4.9

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ignore everything that microsoft benchmark tells you, it's irrelevant and does not reflect real life scenarios. You can get the number raised to 5.9, but in all honesty, upgrading a hard drive for greater speed is just about the worst investment you can make.
As far as upgrading your motherboard, processor and RAM, you could get a i7 setup from Intel, but it's really not worth the expense.
James