Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive Recognition Problem

• Please log in to reply

Bruce42dc

Bruce42dc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi:

I built the system described in my profile for my brother. The DVD Rom drive does not show in the list of drives in My Computer or in Windows Explorer. When you enter the letter designation in explorer (e.g., "G:") it then recognizes it and reads fine.

My guess is that the usb ports, and the 15 in 1 card reader are causing conflicts.

Using Disk Management I reassigned the DVD from G: to Z: and rebooted but still the same. Not on the list of drives. Until I typed "Z:" in the explorer address bar, and then it pops on the list.

Is there some way I could determine if there is a conflict and then resolve it once and for all?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce

Advertisements

Bruce42dc

Bruce42dc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:)

Solved It - Apparently there was a registry entry under Policies that hides drives. I found a tip on another web site and it seems to have taken care of the problem.