Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD & USB recognition problem

• Please log in to reply

melissajw75

melissajw75

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Gateway W340UI laptop no longer recognizes the CD drive. It is not listed on the available drives.

Also, all 3 USB port fail to recognize any device plugged into them. My mouse worked until today and I have attempted a new mouse.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This may be caused by a hardware filter that is installed through Windows updates.
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hello,
This may be caused by a hardware filter that is installed through Windows updates.
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Hfcg, is this location the same in both Vista and XP?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Yes, the location is the same in Vista.
I had to do this to my machine after I had updated the Vista installation.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Yes, the location is the same in Vista.
I had to do this to my machine after I had updated the Vista installation.

Awesome, I am saving this to my canned speeches because this seems to come up really often.