Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing DWL-650 Without CD

• Please log in to reply

lizziet18

lizziet18

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello!

Thank you so much for helping computer-challenged people like myself (especially around the holidays). A while ago, I deleted svchost.exe (yes, the real one, sadly) after contracting a virus and attempting to fix it on my own. Since that time, my computer has been slow as death. I didn't have time to work on it, so I just left it until yesterday when my brother attempted to use it and pointed out that if I couldn't access taskmanager ("disabled by administrator"), I basically couldn't really do anything. So, in an unwise fit of energy, I used the recovery and applications cd from Toshiba to reinstall XP. Fortunately, I did back up all my documents on an external hard drive. However, I did not back up my programs (honestly, I wasn't sure which were corrupt and thought it would be too much of a hassle). All that to say my computer's running great but I have no internet access, and after spending countless hours trying to install the wireless card (the installation cd is certainly nowhere to be found in my house) have reached my limit. So far, I have:

1. Downloaded the driver for DWL-650 from several free sites, using the internet on another computer and a thumb drive.
2. Attempted to install the driver several times. Setup completes, but when I restart the computer and attempt to install the hardware (D-link), it says the driver has not been installed.
3. Attempted to use the verizon online dsl cd to setup some semblence of internet on my computer but realized it was already set up on the other computer (the one I'm using currently), and the real problem was getting the wireless card installed (I think), not setting up the verizon account (which is obviously working, since I'm using it now).

I wrote down the IP address/subnet mask/default gateway # so once I get the driver installed, I think I should be able to set up the wireless network. I hope.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong trying to install the driver. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!

P.S. I followed these directions exactly, to no avail: http://support.dlink...uestion=DWL-650. Resulting message after attempting to install new hardware was, "the wizard could not find the software on your computer". It wanted to connect to the internet to search for the software, but unfortunately could not. Also, D-link no longer offers tech support for DWL 650 as it has been discontinued :)

Edited by lizziet18, 26 December 2008 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Which version of the DWL 650 do you have so I may search more indepth?

http://support.dlink...ts/revision.asp

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

There appears to be several DWL-650 styles. I don't know which one you have so please go HERE, use the arrows to select your product.

Its pretty much straight forward after that to find the correct driver for you 650, but if you need futher help, let me know.

I have also uploaded a Quick Install guide for a DWL-G650 HERE. While its a "G" version, it should basically be the same as you regular 650. The link will last 90 days so please get it while you can.

Before installing the DLink driver, please uninstall the driver you tried previously.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by makai, 28 December 2008 - 09:08 PM.

lizziet18

lizziet18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you so much! That was exactly what was wrong. I picked the correct type of DWL-650 and it installed in minutes. I never would've thought of that on my own. Thanks again and happy holidays :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome! I'm glad you got it fixed! You have a happy holiday too! :)

EDITED... forgot to mention... please save the driver somewhere safe so you will always have the correct one.

Edited by makai, 26 December 2008 - 04:50 PM.