Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Install fails - Invalid Boot.ini NTdetect failed

• Please log in to reply

jackpatrick

jackpatrick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It is a Dell Dimension 4700. I was having issues with the machine, it is four years old and had too much crap on it and the network stuff was messed up. So anyway, I set about re-loading XP complete with reformatting the hard drive. It got through the install to the point where it says to remove the disk for it to re-boot and then it shows the Dell screen and ever so briefly flashes on the screen the following messages:
Invalid boot.ini file
Booting from c:\windows
Ntdetect failed.

It then loops there until I turn the machine off.

I have gone through the normally suggested things such as using the bootcfg /reduild utility. I have run scandsk and it showed no errors. I have gone in and deleted the boot.ini file to re-build it, I have manually copied the ntdetect.com file from the cd-rom, I have tried four different versions of XP CD installs (home edition, professional, w/SP1, and w/SP2) all with the same results. I have tried with formatting and without, with removing the old installation and not. I have probably run through the process of installing about 14 times trying different options. I even typed the dreaded format c: just for fun in the recovery mode. It didn't really change anything other than convince me there were no vestiges of a previous installation there.

The machine has a DVD drive, CD drive, floppy drive and SATA hard drive. I have only tried loading from the DVD drive.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements