Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Snaps Crackles Pops

• Please log in to reply

dj.madscribbler

dj.madscribbler

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'll start with some system info:

I'm running a P4 3.2 in an IntelD865GLC mobo with two 512 rams, audigy SC and a Sapphaire Radeon 9800 pro with two monitors (one is running out of the DVI through a VGA adapter). I've been using this for about six months with no problems. Just the other day the monitor that's getting signal through the adapter has started acting strange. It flickers...it makes an audible crack/pop and the screen goes black and then comes back on (takes 1-2 seconds total). There are no color or redraw problems. It just makes this horrible cracking noise and goes black for a few seconds at a time. This happens sporadically, but it's averaging once an hour at least.

I've disconnected and reconnected the cables, the board, jumpers. I'm afraid the monitor is going belly up. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I've been out of the repair business for some time, but possibly you may just have some solder joints becoming crystalized from the heat/stress of the PC Board and any power components. Power resistors and transistors were always the favorites for creating joint failures. Possibly a problem with dust dirt that may be causing arcing near the high voltage circuits may be triggering the shutdown. Try keeping the monitor extra cool. If this reduces the amount of time between failure or it quits altogether from extra cooling, then joint failure may be the culpprit. There may be other problems too.

Ron