Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstalled vista, memory useage is 40-50% from 25-35%

• Please log in to reply

jimmy_joe_hoffa

jimmy_joe_hoffa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is what happened:

1) I "denied" permissions for all authenticated users of my non-partitioned hard drive labeled as disk C:

2) After a week of consultations with Sony and Microsoft I was told that I can not give back those permissions once I took them away and that the only thing I can do is do a system recovery from a DVD, which I ordered.

3) Before the DVD arrived by mail I managed to restore all permissions to "all authenticated users" of disk C:, thus unveiling a major security flow in Vista which allows a non Admin, non authorized user to unlock all permissions, and to change admin rights...thus bypassing any password protection...wow! viva Vista!

4) After doing a system restore, my pc was working fine, but after the recovery DVD's from Sony arrived I did a complete disk format and reinstalled the whole system from the DVD's.

I have all the same programs installed and running as before.
I use ESET and Windows Defender.

But ever since I reinstalled everything, my memory usage is running anywhere from 40-50%+(I have 3069MB RAM...actually 4GB but 32bit vista allows only 3)

I ran HiJackThis which I posted below, but I failed to find anything abnormal...then again I am a novice.

One more thing....before all this happened when I ran my scans in ESET and Defender I averaged about 450,000 files, where as now ESET is showing around 600,000 and Defender 1.2million files scanned??? I believe this is due to the old files not being formatted during the format plus the system restore files....but perhaps I am wrong.

Advertisements