Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA DVD/CD Drives - How Do I Get Sound From Them?

• Please log in to reply

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just rebuilt my computer with new ASUS P5Q Pro mb and 2 SATA Liteon 22X DVD/CD Burners. The board has built-in 8 channel audio so I did not add a sound card. My Drives work fine except here is no sound...the instructions for the IDE version shows an audio cord attached, but for the SATA drive installation there is no mention of an audio hook up. I never used SATA before so I thought MAYBE it came through the SATA plug; which doesn't appear to be the case. There is a 6 pin connector left on the back of the drive (although nothing is written under them) and no wire was sent with the drive. If this is the sound connector, where do they go on the board, as I did not see a sound connector listed. In my old setup, it connected to the sound card. Thanks for any help.

Edited by corymcnutt, 28 December 2008 - 07:38 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If there is no sound at all then it's most likely you don't have a sound driver installed. This is not an issue with the audio cable, in fact the audio cable was originally used in days of old prior to Windows XP in order to rip or play music from the CD. Under XP and Vista the transfer is digital, down the IDE/SATA cable and no separate cable is required (or possible, in the case of SATA DVD Drives).

The sound driver should be on your original motherboard drivers CD, or failing that you can download it from the Asus website.

corymcnutt

corymcnutt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Neil...I had TWO problems...one, you answered my question about not needing a separate cable (I had already loaded the drivers); and TWO, I had the internal colored plugs (the ones that go to the front panel) plugged into the back, not my external speaker plugs! Is that stupid or what? So now I have GREAT sound. Thanks again!