Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Sync Media Player

• Please log in to reply

RandomGrin

RandomGrin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Wise Ones,

First attempt to xfer music from cd to sd card using Windows Media Player.

Rips fine.

Move songs to the sync list.

Click Start Sync.

Get the error: "Windows Media Player cannot find the file....its been renamed, moved or deleted".

Uhhh....no...NOTHING has been moved, renamed or deleted....I just ripped it seconds ago!

Can double click on the songs and they play fine...they are really there.

In typical Windows fashion it refuses to say WHAT file is lost....it has to know what file it is looking for...but it won't tell me.

It did find my SD card (to my amazement)...when I click 'Set up SD Reader' and click, 'Finish' (which is the only choice) I again get....
"Windows Media Player cannot find the file" .....WHAT file????? I'm just setting it up...there IS no file involved!!

Googling just tells me to make sure I have the path to the file correct. Apparently I am the first person to ever have this problem.

Restarting player does not help.

Ideas anyone?

Oh...Possibly related:

I do have itunes installed, and for some reason Media Player shows the songs that originally came on my ipod for free in it's library...but does not show any of the songs that I added into iTunes myself.

I don't care about this...I just want to get songs from CD to SD and dont care about itunes. Just thought it might be relevant.

Thanks,

Random.

Advertisements

RandomGrin

RandomGrin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OMG Microsoft is annoying!!!

Clearly if you get the error, "Can't find file...it must be gone" what it REALLY means is that the destination SD card is write-protected!!!

What a useful error message!

Well I figured it out and it syncs now.

FYI - Microsoft doesn't even know the difference between not being able to find a source file, and having a problem with a destination device.

Wow.

Well sorry to have bothered you all.

Random

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
*piano9playa5 likes happy endings...

Glad your problem has been solved :)