Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

maintaining my desktop

• Please log in to reply

croc86

croc86

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer is running WindowsXP.
my desktop is mostly empty.
it has icons for my computer, my documents, recycle bin, norton security scan, microsoft outlook, my network places and two folders for outlook express.
it also has 2 "drop boxes" for 2 other computers because it is connected to those other computers through those.
i would like to know which of these icons is not necessary and what should i then do with them?
also, i keep ALL my files and everything in "my documents".
so does that make the start up or even the running of the computer slower, because the "my documents" icon is there on the desktop?

please help.
thank u.

Advertisements

chicken_little

chicken_little

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, Leave both of the 'drop boxes' as is.

All your files / documents should be in the ' my documents' folder so they are easily findable.

The ' my documents' folder icon on the desktop is only a shortcut icon, therefore it will not slow your system startup down at all.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Excessive number of desktop icons will slow down desktop loading, but you have only 10 icons. Nothing to worry about.

Edited by Broni, 30 December 2008 - 10:05 PM.