Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

maintaining my desktop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer is running WindowsXP.
my desktop is mostly empty.
it has icons for my computer, my documents, recycle bin, norton security scan, microsoft outlook, my network places and two folders for outlook express.
it also has 2 "drop boxes" for 2 other computers because it is connected to those other computers through those.
i would like to know which of these icons is not necessary and what should i then do with them?
also, i keep ALL my files and everything in "my documents".
so does that make the start up or even the running of the computer slower, because the "my documents" icon is there on the desktop?

please help.
thank u.

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, Leave both of the 'drop boxes' as is.

All your files / documents should be in the ' my documents' folder so they are easily findable.

The ' my documents' folder icon on the desktop is only a shortcut icon, therefore it will not slow your system startup down at all.

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Excessive number of desktop icons will slow down desktop loading, but you have only 10 icons. Nothing to worry about.

Edited by Broni, 30 December 2008 - 10:05 PM.