Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problems after Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

nicksterbixter

nicksterbixter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I just upgraded the CPU and memory on my PC that I built. I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ to a 6000+ and I added 2 gigs of identical memory to my 2 gigs of corsair memory. With this new build, my computer acts weirdly at boot. From a cold start, it will go to the boot screen, detect the processor, then just stop. I have left it for minutes and it just will not continue. If I restart the computer, it continues doing this. However, if I just start it, turn it off, then wait several minutes and retry, it starts up without any problems. I have no idea what the problem is that is stopping it from booting the first time.

My only thought is that it may be the power supply, as I know my current PSU is not very powerful and I upgraded from a 65 watt CPU to an 89 watt CPU. However, that is a total guess, and I honestly have no idea. Please help me!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the new memory out. See what happens.
Then try it again with the new sticks on their own. If the problems only occur with the new memory in, either there's some compatibility issue between them and the existing memory (hence why one shouldn't really try to mix and match densities, speeds and to a lesser extent, brands), or the board is developing an issue.

nicksterbixter

nicksterbixter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I doubt that the memory is the problem, as it is identical to the memory already installed. They are the same brand, speed, timings, etc.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Doesn't mean anything. My car is dark blue, a Ford and it goes. The car down the street is the same colour, type, age and it doesn't go, that I've seen anyway. Does it mean the car's faulty or the owner's a recluse?

Your new modules can be faulty. Have you done what I suggested please just to satisfy curiosity?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
He was a little rude on the last post sorry about that.

He is right about the memory issue though.

Take out the 2 new memory sticks and test it for awhile with just the 2 older sticks. The new sticks can be bad or 1 of them could have an issue you never know its called troubleshooting. New sticks of ram can always have memerrors / issues and cause boot problems / rebooting.

Report back with anything.

FilePage

FilePage

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I suggest you to test memory modules with MemTest 86+ or GoldMem. :)