Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system buld wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

360baffled

360baffled

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i have recently attempted to build a new pc, i have everthing connected and when i turn on the power the only response given is a small light on the motherboard. i have run out of ideas on what to do for this computer.
my system specs are:
P5Q-EM ASUS MOTHERBOARD
INTEL Q9550 QUAD-CORE 2.83GHZ 12MB CACHE
4GB RAM
MAXTOR 250GD HARD-DRIVE
470 WATTS CPU
CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello 360baffled...

Let's cover the basics first.

Did you use the standoffs when you installed the motherboard into the case? Are they only located under the mounting points on the motherboard.

Are both the 24 pin connector and the 4 pin cpu connector firmly connected?

Are the PCI cards and memory modules firmly seated in their respective slots?

wannabe1

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i have recently attempted to build a new pc, i have everthing connected and when i turn on the power the only response given is a small light on the motherboard. i have run out of ideas on what to do for this computer.
my system specs are:
P5Q-EM ASUS MOTHERBOARD
INTEL Q9550 QUAD-CORE 2.83GHZ 12MB CACHE
4GB RAM
MAXTOR 250GD HARD-DRIVE
470 WATTS CPU
CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!?

Check all of what he said and if still no luck continue reading.

About the small green light on the mobo, it comes on without you pressing the front pc power button right? It should and if so its what I typed below. That green light is common for a lot of mobos and it should always stay on if the power supply button is always in the ON position while your pc is shut down and has power going to it.

check your power button cable that connects to the motherboard from the FRONT power button on the case, you might have it hooked up to the wrong prongs.

360baffled

360baffled

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
when i connect the power cable to the power supply, the only thing that happens is a small light on the mobo,there are o more lights anywhere. not even on the front of the case. What i do suspect could be the problem is that imay not have installed the 'Speaker, PowerSW, ResetSW etc' but i was shown how to do it properly by my mobo manual. i have also been told i could be tht my power supply is not enough or that it may not work but i have tested the mobo ith another power supply but still wont turn on.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

when i connect the power cable to the power supply, the only thing that happens is a small light on the mobo,there are o more lights anywhere. not even on the front of the case. What i do suspect could be the problem is that imay not have installed the 'Speaker, PowerSW, ResetSW etc' but i was shown how to do it properly by my mobo manual. i have also been told i could be tht my power supply is not enough or that it may not work but i have tested the mobo ith another power supply but still wont turn on.

Ya you need to have the powerSW hooked up or the pc will not ever power on. Resetsw is for the reset switch and Powersw is power switch.

Look at the image below and make sure you have this 4 pin power connector plugged in Circled in RED.

asusmobo.jpg

Check all connections and make sure everything POWER related is correctly hooked up.
You can also try and troubleshoot the system by taking out all expansion cards from any of the pci/pci express etc slots. Try only 1 stick of ram then try to turn on the system again. If you see any fans spinning or hear them then we are getting somewhere.. This means just strip the mobo with only bare essentials.

You already said you tried a known working power supply and it did not solve the problem so this tells me the psu is not the problem at all.
If you try all of this and still no luck its probably a bad motherboard and you will have to send it back and get a new.

I think its more of something power related not being hooked up correctly but you can try what I typed above just to see.