Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hello! Need help updating BIOS

• Please log in to reply

Grubub

Grubub

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello everyone at Geek Quad,

I've decided to update my 2 year old bios but I've been having trouble locating the most recent bios file on the web. I've tried WIMS boot, the Phoenix homepage, and Gateway.com but neither have the file. Here is the information of my bios as of now. :)

Bios-Type: Phoenix-Award
Bios-Date: March 30th 2006
Bios-ID: 3/30/2006- C51G+MCP51-6A61HFK9C-00-None
Bios OEM: C51GU01 series 611E3P09 03/30/06 - 6.00 PG
Chipset: Athlon 1100 rev 0
SuperIO: ITE 8712F rev 7 at port 002E
Manufacturer: Gateway
Motherboard: GM5084

Thank you for your time!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the computer is working fine, you don't need to flash the BIOS. You should only flash the BIOS if you need to, not because you want to. You don't go and buy a new car because you want to, you buy one because you have to or need to.

Two years in a computer is a long time. It's not going to get any faster if truth be told just because it's got a different date on the front screen.

Grubub

Grubub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay. Thanks for the information! Also, is 512mb quite low for a 6 year old computer? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
By today's standard yes but in 2002 you were lucky if it had 256Mb never mind anything bigger.

103wgold

103wgold

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same computer and need the bios file. I flashed the wrong one in, and need the original that you have listed. It is the only one for the Gateway GM5084. The Gateway site confused me, and I picked the wrong .bin file. Is it possible to get the zipped bios file emailed to me? Thanks, Bill

103wgold

103wgold

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The bios file I need is:

Bios-Type: Phoenix-Award
Bios-Date: March 30th 2006
Bios-ID: 3/30/2006- C51G+MCP51-6A61HFK9C-00-None
Bios OEM: C51GU01 series 611E3P09 03/30/06 - 6.00 PG
Chipset: Athlon 1100 rev 0
SuperIO: ITE 8712F rev 7 at port 002E
Manufacturer: Gateway
Motherboard: GM5084

I copied this from the original post above. I also copied the Bios OEM during a post, so I know it is the correct one. Any help would be appreciated...(it may be possible to upload it here as a file...have not done that yet???....Thanks ~Bill