Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems reinstalling windows XP pro

• Please log in to reply

jwill

jwill

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have been running windows XP pro, a student copy I bought from my university, now for a couple years. Recently my computer was freezing up when I boot up. I thought it was my hard drive that was failing so I deleted my hard drive and try to reinstall XP pro using the installation disc I had bought. When installing XP pro, the installation is stalled during the "windows XP professional setup" blue window. while coping files to my computer, setup stops at 17%. I try reinstalling again but installation always stops before I reach 100%. Can someone please tell me what I should to or if there have been similiar problems of reinstalling windows XP pro

Advertisements

Jace1

Jace1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
In "deleting" your hard drive, do you mean you "replaced" it? Or did you mean you "deleted the C:/ partition?" What exactly did you do?

You really need to REFORMAT your Hard Drive (HD). Therefore, you must:
1. first back up all your important data files - any files you want to keep.
2. Shut down your system - turn it off.
3. Immediately after turning on your computer, place your Windows OS disk in your CD/DVD drive.
4. Access the C:/ prompt ... and type "Format C." This should clean your HD and prepare it for a new installation of the OS. If you need help doing this, call the company you purchased the computer from.
5. REinstall your WinXP/Pro.
6. REinstall all the applications you have for your system.
7. REinstall all your backed-up data files.

Edited by Jace1, 30 December 2008 - 04:23 PM.

jwill

jwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I format my hard drive and tried to reinstalled. that's what I meant. But I also bought a new hard drive after reinstalling on the old drive failed. However I had the same problem when trying to install XP pro so I don't think it is a hard drive problem

Jace1

Jace1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Do you have a Standard Windows XP Pro OS disk? Or is it an OEM disk?

jwill

jwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe it's a standard OS disk

Jace1

Jace1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Unfortunately I am fuzzy on how to do the full install from a normal Windows OS disk. Google "how do i install a new hard drive" and you will find a solution. I just did a Google search and it gave me several sites that offer an answer.

I'm sorry I don't have the time to research the entire procedure right now. Good hunting...

Jace

jwill

jwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks anyway. I will try and do a web search for the setup

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Even new HD need to be formatted, also defective ram will cause windows to load part way, and fail.

jwill

jwill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I think it was the ram, I replace the ram and I was able to reinstall. After installation windows froze several times. I'm suspecting either the motherboard is going bad or I need more ram. I'm working with 512 MB.

Jace1

Jace1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, you are progressing. I have a mere 1-gig of RAM in my notebook and it is acceptable. I believe 512 MB of RAM is a bit short. But I do have 2-gigs of RAM in my main system and, when my HD was working properly, that helped speed things considerably.

You should consider contacting a tech-sup company or looking into buying a new system.

Just a thought...

Edited by Jace1, 31 December 2008 - 10:38 AM.