Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unix os

• Please log in to reply

hitmanyo 2k

hitmanyo 2k

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would like for one to elucidate to me on where and how I can obtain the UNIX os. Currently my CPU is running WINDOWS VISTA as its primary os. Reason I'm asking, I'm learning how to program and write code"READING WISE FOR NOW". I was told the best way to achieve this was to download an open source system such as unix.
What's my best shot?

Advertisements

Daan_DL

Daan_DL

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I think you should try Linux, it is "based" on UNIX and is more suited for desktop users.
Some linux flavors are: Ubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Fedora, Archlinux, Gentoo, Slackware,...

But if you persist on using a more unix like system, you can try BSD.
BSD flavors are: FreeBSD (I recommend this one), OpenBSD, NetBSD.

Grtz Daan

Btw, here's an overview of Unix and its history: http://upload.wikime...history.svg.png

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you really want "Unix", you can get Open Solaris, but I would second the suggestion that you try Linux.

hitmanyo 2k

hitmanyo 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, will definitely give it a go.