Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.dll's

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
2GB of RAM is perfectly fine for Vista, but you didn't say anything about your processor, or hard drive size.

Advertisements

qcnuke

qcnuke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, here are the stats on my system, built from components:
300G and 250G Seagate HD
Pentium D 840 3.20 GH 2MB Cache 800 mhz Smithfield / dual Core
Intel D945PVSLKR ATX MoBo
ULTRA 1024 x 2 PC4200 DDR2 533 mhz memory
Liteon DVD
Liteon DVD?CD ROM combo

My hard drive tests came out alright, everything identified and working. I never got any Memtest to run Even with the XP isc not in the drive, the option for that system comes up when booting. If standard is chosen, macine will boot, if disc is chosen, it just sits.

I am not good at figuring these things out, and patience is not my greatest virtue.....LOL

Is there any of the physical components where some of these problems could be lying, that would go away if replaced? Would the Motherboard, CPU or Memory take these things with them either singularly or as a whole in combimation? If the problems could go away with them and a fresh start begin with new components, would you let me know so I can change them out?

Thank you for all your time, attention and help.

Robbie

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I went back to your post #7:

It will boot into the regular windows, but if the option to setup is selected, it goes to a black screen and stays there.

Does this happen, when you boot from Windows CD, and go through setup? At what stage of setup does it happen?

You still didn't say, if you tried CD with another computer.

I never got any Memtest to run Even with the XP isc not in the drive, the option for that system comes up when booting. If standard is chosen, macine will boot, if disc is chosen, it just sits.

Are you booting from memtest CD?

qcnuke

qcnuke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This weekend, I loaded the CD on a laptop, and everything went as it should have.
On my problemmatic unit, when powering up, I get the Intel Screen. then black screen reading the drives, etc., then it goes into a choice of start-up, being either windows XP Pro, or set-up installation. Set-up is auto highlighted and will default to that choice if nothing is done, but will just sit there with a blank screen with a flat white curser blinking in the upper left corner.
If I select Windows XP Pro, it goes throught the windows set-up as normal. It will do this even if the Windows CD is not on the drive.

When trying the Memtest, I tried that with the disc in the drive for booting, but nothing happened. I pulled the contents up, clicked on .exe, but only got a blip of a black dos-type screen, then it went away.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Check boot order in BIOS. CD-ROM should be listed first.
Then, when booting from CD, you should see: "Press any key to boot from CD".