Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless N adapter

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
For Christmas a friend sent me a Linksys Wireless Adapter card as I do have a laptop and occasionally travel. I installed it but have no idea of how to use it correctly. What does the N stand for? Is this limited to a narrow spectrum of wireless hot spots? I read a reference to antennas but how would you connect one to a laptop? Please help, I am totally in the dark about wireless as I use the standard wired router at home. All suggestions as to how to get some use out of this card would be appreciated. I know the card works as I took the laptop down to a local spot advertising free wireless and it picked up something. ??

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Janis
In very basic terms
Wireless started off with b then g, then n.
As it goes along the alfabet it gets better. So n is faster then b. Routers that are old and transmit the signal as either b or g can still be picked up by n cards as they are backward compatible.
If your card picked up a signal from the free hotspot then you just have to click on the signal icon and it should have an option to connect.
Most laptops come with wireless built in. Are you sure your laptop does not have wireless already ?
Now that you have a wireless card for your laptop you can add a wireless router to your home and then take the laptop to other places - such as backyard, lounge room etc and still have internet access.
Depending on the make and model of your current modem/router it could be wireless.
Cheers
Peterm

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
The laptop is an older, former business laptop, Latitude C840 No wireless except for the card. Our home router is wired, a Zoom DSL router/modem. I have no idea how to make it accept a wireless signal. Being able to go outdoors does sound like a nice option though. Thanks for the information on the level of cards. One new thing learned for the new year.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Just had a quick look at the Zoom routers and it looks like the wireless models come with an aerial.
Not all wireless modem routers have aerials. What model number do you have. - Worth a look but my guess is it won't be wireless.
Cheers
Peterm