Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTVDM.EXE stopped working

• Please log in to reply

George Kildare

George Kildare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Vista 32 Ultimate installed both on my work PC and recently on my home PC. I have a few old programmes that I like, including an old Norton scientific calculator programme and a Dutch English dictionary.

All these WIN16 programms run perfectly at work, but when I try running them in exactly the same environment on my home PC I get the message "NTDVM.EXE has stopped working". This happens for all the old WIN16 programs. Does anybody have suggestions other than trying to reinstall everything?

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Try turning off User Account Control and also try running the program in compatibility mode. That solves most problems with compatibility issues. Post back here if you need help turning off UAC or launching the app in compatibility mode. (I don't have vista on this workstation, tough to walk you through it atm.)

George Kildare

George Kildare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks for the tips.

However, I have been operating with UAC turned off and tried to launch the programs in compatibility mode without success. The strange thing is that they work without problems on my Vista computer at work.