Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Desktop Black/Blank can only RUN stuff in CTR,ALT,DEL

• Please log in to reply

Conway Morning

Conway Morning

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok I have this laptop and I don't know if it was something I accidentally hit by mistake or if it's a software issue ( is seems unlikely to be a virus issue) but my entire desktop is blank/black although still illuminated if that makes sense, I have nothing on it, I can however run programs by using a command prompt on CTR.ALT,DELETE and selecting "new task" but other than that I have nothing,

If anyone has heard of this or knows how to fix this I would be most greatfull for your advice,

My Laptop is a "Fujitsu Siemens" and the OS is Windowns Vista (not sure about the type)

This is incredibly confusing and I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer,

Thanks again

Edited by Conway Morning, 01 January 2009 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

Nimwe

Nimwe

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Go to new task as usual and try to run Explorer.exe.

Conway Morning

Conway Morning

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
dude your a genius! thanks so much! - also any tips to avoid this happening in the future ?

Nimwe

Nimwe

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
2 things you can do to check for any obvious problems. The first would be to open Administrative Tools in your control panel, open the Reliability and Performance Monitor and select the reliability monitor. This will show you any errors that Vista has recorded. If you find an error, you have something definate to work with. The second option is to run startup repair by following the instructions that Broni provides here, minus running system restore. Startup repair will attempt to fix any corrupted boot files.

Edited by Nimwe, 03 January 2009 - 02:17 AM.