Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Log In Problem

• Please log in to reply

Xenotron

Xenotron

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, I've looked through other posts and no one seems to have my problem, so here's a new problem for the guru's to work on. On this computer there are two HDD's both with operating systems and boot sectors. The other HDD is having the problem (obviously).

The black screen appears that says "Windows XP Professional" and the loading bar below. Next the normal "Log In" screen appears. But instead of it showing the user names on which you can log on to, it shows "Windows XP Professional" on the right side. It just sits there and sits there and sits there. It won't 'finish' the start up process, I guess you could call it. It till always boot to that point but never show the user names to log into.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
So, this is a dual boot....the first drive has what OS?

You select Windows XP from the boot loader to get to XP and that's when the problem begins.

What about when you choose safe mode? Problem occur?

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
sorry, I should have put all that in my first post, I wasn't thinking.

Yes I have a dual boot. Two seperate HDD's (Master is fine, Slave having problems), both with Windows XP (Master - Home, Slave - Pro), can boot from both.

When the Bios is loading I can select:
"Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
"Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
(I don't know if that's EXACTLY how they're displayed, but yes I have the choice of which boot sector I want to use)

I press the down key and select "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" (Slave HDD). The screen then goes to the black Windows loading screen that displays the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" picture, and the loading bar at the bottom.

That page goes away and the blue "Log In" screen starts to load. It then freezes, or doesn't finish loading. All I get is the "Microsoft Windows XP" picture that is always there when you get the log in screen. No user names load, the shut off button in the bottom left doesn't load, the usual words "To begin click your user name" doesn't load. I only get that picture and the usual blue screen.

I have tried to boot in other options. Safemode, debug mode, system repair mode (not sure if that's what it's called) and last known good configuration. None of them will finish loading the usernames for me to log into.

Thanks for the help so far

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what about command line ?

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Command line? do you mean Safemode with Command Prompt?

These are my options:

Safemode
Safemode with Networking
Safemode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choice Menu

I also forgot to add that the mouse appears and I can move it on the blue screen. Still no user names.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, command line prompt

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nope, it still tries to boot in Safemode. Any mode I try that loads a 'visual' windows, not like a dos style, but interactive, won't go past that blue screen. It doesn't say "Loading Windows" -> switch to user name list. It only brings up the blue screen, that picture of Windows XP, and the mouse. So I can't log into safemode because there are no usernames.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmmm, got nothing.

what precipitated this occuring?

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ummm I was changing Drive letters... ie. D: -> E: They work on this HDD (same designated Drive letters), so I don't know how that messed it up, if it did. Is my best bet to reinstall XP?