Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete loss of client machines networking

• Please log in to reply

cks101

cks101

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey all,

I've recently experienced some weird network issues. I've read through the Home Network & Printer/File Sharing Post, but my setup isn't the same as this so i've placed this post in the hope that someone can help me sort this out. Everything has been working just fine up until about 2 days ago, when for some unknown reason, the connections were lost to all client machines? Main PC is still connected and working fine!

(All computers are running either XP home or Pro)
OK, my setup is as follows: I have a cable modem connected to the first port on my Host PC's motherboard (RJ45 cat5e), then the second motherboard port on the host machine is connected to a 4 port Netgear hub (supplying 1 laptop and 1 PC). i've added a seperate ethernet card to the host machine which connects another computer. Since losing connection i've tried and tried to setup the internet connections again but to no success. I've uninstalled all cards and re-installed them, no luck, tried connecting just a single connection to another PC with no luck, run the network setup wizard about 20 times on all machines (this is all i've ever done before and have never had any problems), but ultimately....nothing! nothing works whatsoever. I've currenlty got all machines connected the way they were before, all are showing as connected, but have no internet or file sharing abilities at all.

On the host machine (in the network connections) i have the main connection showing as connected and is working perfectly, then i have the other two connections showing up with a bridged connection betweeent the two of them. Everything seems correct and everything shows as connected. Does anyone have the slightlest idea as to what the problem might be, or a way of trying to set them up correctly again?

I've also forgotten which setting i should have the 4 port hub's switch on aswell, if i connect the Host cat5e cable to the 'link/Rx' port on the hub, does the button need to be in uplink or normal position?

I'm relatively new to setting up IP addressess etc, so for anything even slightly technical, could you please provide 'precise' instructions please :).

Many thanks to anyone willing/able to help.

Edited by cks101, 01 January 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi CKS101
Welcome to G2G
May I ask why you are using this setup ? You should just ave the modem going to the hub then the other computers
connected into the hub. Are you running through the other computer fo a specific reason?
Cheers
Peterm

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

The reason is due to cable availability and lots of other niggling reasons. Main PC and secondary PC upstairs, laptop and third PC downstairs, don't have enough cables, length etc, nor do i want to drill holes through the ceiling to get where i need to go :).

Edited by cks101, 01 January 2009 - 04:18 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Just so I get it straight are the downstairs computers wireless?
It's just the way I read your post everything looks to be wired via the hub?.
Can you do an ipconfig on a computer upstairs and on one downstairs and one on the working computer.
Click on start>all programs > accessories> cmd prompt.
Type in ipconfig enter
Also right click on the my computer icon click on properties click on the tab computer name.
Are all computers in the same workgroup ?
Cheers
Peterm

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
All connected computers/laptops are wired, there is no functionality for wireless on any computer and all computers have been setup to use the same workgroup.

my machine is setup like this:
Posted Image

ipconfig results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Desktop A
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 82.21.188.1

Desktop A's bridge connections for hub and Desktop B)
Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 12:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Laptop A (connected via hub downstairs):

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.78.157
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Desktop B

Ethernet adapter :Local Area Connection

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.45.203
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

hope this helps :)

Edited by Rorschach112, 02 January 2009 - 05:21 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok it looks like your desktop A is acting as your DHCP Server.
Can you go to Desktop B and in the properties for the network card can tou click on tcpip
click on properties and change from dhcp to static.(or use the following ip address)
type in 192.168.0.105 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 82.21.188.1
Click ok click ok Can you get the internet now?
If not open a cmd prompt(under accessories) and typein ping 192.168.0.1 press enter
do you get a time out or reply.
If no reply can you type in 82.21.188.1 press enter.
Do you get a reply or time out.
Cheers
Peterm

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
times out on both :)

You didn't state a dns address to use, so for the first ping result it was left blank, for the second ping i used the dns addresses from Desktop A, nevertheless they both failed. No internet access.....

cheers

Edited by cks101, 03 January 2009 - 04:14 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
It has to be desktop A can you plug desktop b
or the laptop straight to the router. If you can on desktop B then leave the ip as static if no connection then change back to dhcp. This is just to prove that A is the problem.
At this stage DNS not important
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 03 January 2009 - 04:30 AM.

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry Peterm, i wasn't sure which you meant? either the 4 port hub or the dsl modem, so i tried both :). I presume you meant the hub, as i'd expect the laptop and desktop B to work straight from the dsl modem anyway (which they did!).

Tried connecting the dsl modem directly to the hub and then to the laptop (not possible to try desktop B it's too far away) but the laptop works perfectly:)

I've also uncovered a faulty cable in the meantime, but this is neither here nor there as i've tried other cables anyway :)

what next :) ?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok so laptop is plugged to hub which is plugged to modem (bypassing computer a)
Can you do an ipconfig on laptop and send it to me via PM not posted here.
Looks like the cards in desktop A might be gone OR we need to recheck all settings on A.
Is Desktop C close enough to plug into hub whilst the hub is still plugged into modem ?
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 03 January 2009 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes, laptop is as stated.

tried plugging in desktop 3 into hub but with no success :). tried uninstalling/reinstalling, running network setup, tried the hub with normal and uplink settings too, but nothing. Seems it will only supply the laptop with internet access.

have pm'd you the details requested...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
This is getting odd.
Have pm'd some settings to try on desktop C
Before you try them can you leave desktop C connected to hub. go to cmd prompt
type in ipconfig /release press enter then ipconfig /renew.
then check if you have a valid ip. If not then try to force ip like i pm'd.
If this does not work unplug laptop and try desktop C
I am looking at the chance that you have somehow restricted the number of machine access
or are using mac address filtering
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 03 January 2009 - 06:02 PM.

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
nope! only seems to work on any one machine at a time.

it's weird, as i lost connection the other day (when it was all working), but randomly started working again? do you think my ISP may be restricting me? or do you think tht somehow i've managed to restrict the network myself somehow? very frustrating :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

nope! only seems to work on any one machine at a time.

Does this mean that Desktop C Worked When you disconnected the laptop?
You should not have to reboot the modem and hub when you unplug and plug in a computer.
Just reboot the computer
Your ISP won't be doing it

I have a cable modem connected to the first port on my Host PC's motherboard (RJ45 cat5e), then the second motherboard port on the host machine is connected to a 4 port Netgear hub

You are saying your Motherboard has 2 network ports ?

i've added a seperate ethernet card to the host machine which connects another computer

Have you tried putting this connection to the hub.
It sounds like it could be
1) Network card in machine A or cable from machine A
2) Restriction you have added by chance.
Thats why I want you to try just Computer A and C this would help looking for restrictions if C works off dhcp like the laptop did then we know it will allow only 1 computer past the hub so we can then look at the hub setup.
Cheers
Peterm
Read rule 2 in my sig

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Does this mean that Desktop C Worked When you disconnected the laptop?

Yes, worked fine :). I'll rebot the PC's from now on and glad my isp doesn't have a hand in this.

You are saying your Motherboard has 2 network ports ?

Yes, two ports on the motherboard and 1 extra add-in network card.

Have you tried putting this connection to the hub.

Not yet, but will give it a go, although i've already tried the two motherboard ports as well. Will get back to you with the results for the add-in card :) i'm also beginning to think that the network has been restricted to just one connection, as no other connection seems to work in any order of connected PC's/Laptops, only one ever seems to work at any one time.

[edit] OK, have done the following: connected all ports from desktop A to the hub and tried to connect to the net, however, only 1 connection will work, i've tried uninstalling/re-installing, restarting, checking ip config's releasing and renewing, but nothing i do will get the other two ports to work from the hub. The port that does work is the port that was assigned as the main internet connection port via the network connection wizard so i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it???? I've now connected all computers/laptops to the hub, all connect, desktop A (one port only), Desktop B, C and Laptop no problem. The first (motherboard) port and the add-in card do not work from the hub on desktop A.......Over to you again Peterm :), thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated!![/edit]

Edited by cks101, 04 January 2009 - 02:25 PM.