Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts off immediately after being turned on

• Please log in to reply

skimchi123

skimchi123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy 2009!

My problem is when i turn on my PC, it immediately shuts down after 1-5 secs. The strange thing is, it'll turn itself on and shut down again and again. My question is whether this is a motherboard or PS issue. At the moment, I don't have the specs for my machine, but I'll post that up ASAP.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could be a problem with the fan on the CPU or the heatsink, as well as PS problem. I would open up the case and make sure that when you turn on the computer that the fan on the CPU is spinning properly, as well as everything being clear of dust/dirt.

skimchi123

skimchi123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I saw that the CPU fan wasn't spinning when I turned on the computer, so it seems that the CPU fan is not working. I'll have to test a new fan out on the computer to see if it's working. I'll post again if everything is working fine, or if there is still a problem. Thanks Kemesa.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You are welcome.

skimchi123

skimchi123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I reconnected the CPU heatsink and it seems to be working fine now. However, the computer is still doing the same thing. I'm thinking that it is either the mobo or the PSU, but now I'm not sure of anything anymore. Any more advice would be appreciated. My PS is a OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Did you replace the fan? If not, it might not be turning at the proper speed. If you removed the heatsink, did you use any of the heatsink compound to ensure a good thermal connection?

Do you have the manual for your system and if so, look to see if there are any status LEDs. It might tell you why it is shutting down.

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
did u check the psu? Was its fan spinning or not? as our staff member said replace fan, not only heatsink, use heatsink compound.