Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing and Upgrading Laptop Memory.

• Please log in to reply

Albino

Albino

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi all,

I just need little of help in determining some new memory for my laptop. I have a Sony N21E/W which as standard comes with a pitiful 1GB memory, with a max of 2GB.

The RAM comes in two sticks of 512mb, and is DDR2 SDRAM - 533MHz (PC2-4200). Obviously I will need two sticks of 1GB, but my questions are these:

1. Would it be better to get 800MHz ram (or 667MHz even), and would this work correctly?

2. Does is matter if the memory is "buffered" or "unbuffered" (I understand this depends on the system?)

I'd appreciate any help from anyone, and maybe someone could go so far as recommending so memory from this website. I'd prefer to keep the price down, no more than £40 for the two sticks so again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi all,

I just need little of help in determining some new memory for my laptop. I have a Sony N21E/W which as standard comes with a pitiful 1GB memory, with a max of 2GB.

The RAM comes in two sticks of 512mb, and is DDR2 SDRAM - 533MHz (PC2-4200). Obviously I will need two sticks of 1GB, but my questions are these:

1. Would it be better to get 800MHz ram (or 667MHz even), and would this work correctly?

2. Does is matter if the memory is "buffered" or "unbuffered" (I understand this depends on the system?)

I'd appreciate any help from anyone, and maybe someone could go so far as recommending so memory from this website. I'd prefer to keep the price down, no more than £40 for the two sticks so again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hey

In theory higher speed ram (SHOULD) work but sometimes these manufactured pc's/laptops are really picky on what ram you put in them so IMO I would recommend staying with the pc24200 ram as you know it will work no questions asked. It is always a chance that if you get the higher speed ram it (might) not even boot up on your laptop. ITs up to you but I want to save you the headache.

You will want unbuffered of course. Ram is so cheap now especially the pc24200 speed.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
They don't have a large selection but the kingston ram I listed here will fit in your laptop..

2gb of ram
£29.35inc vat

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119224

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hey jrm20,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Firstly, apologies, the model of my laptop is the N21S/W, not eh N21E/W model as mentioned first (though the difference is negligable).

I just ran a memory advisor tool on the Crucial website; I dont know how reliable/accurate this test is, but it suggested to me PC2-5300 memory. I don't really understand what these numbers mean, but does that seem feesable? It seems cheaper from the Crucial website too, coming in at under £20 for the full 2GB. Perhaps I need to find another e-tailer. Perhaps someone could link me some memory off any website, then I could find the English equivilant?

Also, apologies again, I should have made it clear, I need two 1GB sticks as opposed to one 2GB stick that you linked to me, so sorry for not making that clear.

Would two sticks of this be suitable?

Regards,

Edited by Albino, 01 January 2009 - 06:02 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Here's a 2x 1GB kit for you, it's always better to buy in matched sets if you can. :)

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Many thanks jrm20 and Troy, you solved my query very quickly indeed.

The product you linked me Troy, seems pretty much the same as the one I suggested, but I'll stick with yours based on it coming in pairs anyway. Thanks for finding it for me, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey jrm20,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Firstly, apologies, the model of my laptop is the N21S/W, not eh N21E/W model as mentioned first (though the difference is negligable).

go for the ram troy posted then. :)

Albino

Albino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Bought. Thanks very much guys :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If it doesn't work, blame jrm20 :)

Seriously, keep us posted on how it all goes, we're here if you have any further problems. :)

Troy