Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start up?

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I got my old computer out of the shed a couple of days ago because i was going to start using it again. It worked fine when i put it in there about 8 months ago. I plugged everything in and pushed the button to start it up and nothing happened. I took the cover off and looked at the power supply. When i switched the switch on the power supply the fans move a little bit but nothing else happens. I checked the voltage and everything to and from the power supply and everything was good. I even went out and bought another power supply to try just in case. I hooked that one up and nothing hapens then either. Could the button i push on the front of the computer be bad? if so how can i check that? Or what else could be wrong?

Advertisements

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I took the main power connector from the psu and put a paper clip in the grren wire and the other side to a black wire. Turn the switch on the psu and the fans start running. So......i know my power supply isnt bad now. What else could it be? How can i check the system switch? maybe it could be that?

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Does anyone know what could be wrong?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I took the main power connector from the psu and put a paper clip in the grren wire and the other side to a black wire. Turn the switch on the psu and the fans start running. So......i know my power supply isnt bad now. What else could it be? How can i check the system switch? maybe it could be that?

Take a flat head screw driver and bridge the 2 power button pins on the motherboard header. You will first need to unplug the 2 prong power cable that connects to your front case power button to the motherboard.

When you bridge the connection do it less than 3 seconds, it should not even take that long..

Try that and see what happens. No luck just connect the power button cable back to the mobo as the mobo is probably bad as you suggested in another thread..