Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply

BeckyH

BeckyH

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
:) ok you wonderful tech folks...the "not so smart"tech person at hp was NO and I mean NO help (honestly I could have took her checklist and done it faster myself without her and she certainly didn't listen to me, treating me like I couldn't read what was on my screen) so I am doing what I SHOULD have done first :)

Come to see all you wonderful smart techies.... :)
Here's the issue

My hp pavilion dv4-1123us running vista suddenly decided it wasn't going to boot up

It was operating fine other than it wasn't picking up the other computers on the network (which it would occasionally do and a reboot usually cured that) so I was going to reboot it since I needed to access things on the other computers for work and was too lazy (plus was watching wrestling) and didn't want to leave the couch.

So I hit restart and voila big black screen with the following:
Windows failed to start ...yadda yadda

use windows installation disc to repair (which of course as we all know do NOT come with the computers these days)

File : \Boot\BCD
Info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I did the F11 thing to try and get a backup of some VERY VERY important data on there and of course it doesn't give me the option of where to save it to and says (after scanning for data for over 5 minutes) there is no usb drive (well I wanted to back it up to disc but they dont' give me that option) and even when I stuck a flash drive in, it doesnt' recognize it as being there and won't bring up the next screen...
I started to do a recovery back to factory settings (just to make the tech girl happy, she didn't believe me when I told her if it wouldn't back up one way that it wouldn't back it up by running something else when it was doing the EXACT same thing) but ALAS I was right and it wouldn't back it up that way either so I cancelled that till I could come here and get help on recovering my important data....
I knew if there was any way possible you all could help....

so folks...how do I get my data and how do I make it boot up? :)

BTW I had not installed ANY new hardware, software or anything else...

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
If you didn't make your 'recovery disks' before you started using your machine, then you can make one from this download. Read the instructions and also download ImgBurn.
http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
you may close this topic, the computer is now back up and running...