Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Through a router, one computer gets internet, the other doesnt

• Please log in to reply

Laird19

Laird19

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Ill start at the beginning.. we have 2 computers in the house and they are going through a router. Everything has been working perfeclty, yesterday i set up a network between the 2 of them, and things were still working fine. Today my friend came over to try and upgrade my video card. we put in a new power supply (from 150Watt to 300Watt). the video card wasnt working so we took it out. We left the power supply in. Now. I put in the cd for the video card and installed the driver for it, thinking that was the reason it wasnt working.. Now.. all of a sudden my computer is not connecting to the internet. at first it was saying there was little to no connectivity, but now it is saying the cable is unplugged and the computer wont even show up as connected to the router. i have tried connecting the internet directly from the modem to the computer. and nothing.. now what really has me baffled is that where you plug the cable into the computer. used to have an orange light turn on when ya plugged it in, and a yellow light would flash showing the cable connectivity, as of right now, no lights turn on when the cable is plugged in... that is my story, any help would be greatly appreciated.. id like to fix the problem myself if at all possible!!

Edited by Laird19, 02 January 2009 - 06:49 PM.

Advertisements

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Put the ethernet card from the working computer into the bad one. If the bad computer now works, it is a bad ethernet card. You may have shorted it out on power supply change.