Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disgarding an OLD pc

• Please log in to reply

drpepper23

drpepper23

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hello,

I plan to sell my old PC. Before selling it I want to be sure that there is no personal information left on my HD. What is the best way to completely erase the HD? Previously I have used something called http://www.killdisk.com/

Is this a good way? Something better?

What if I change my mind about selling the PC and want to keep the HD and install it onto a different PC, what is the best way to clean it out then?

Thanks!!!!!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hello,

I plan to sell my old PC. Before selling it I want to be sure that there is no personal information left on my HD. What is the best way to completely erase the HD? Previously I have used something called http://www.killdisk.com/

Is this a good way? Something better?

What if I change my mind about selling the PC and want to keep the HD and install it onto a different PC, what is the best way to clean it out then?

Thanks!!!!!

If you want to sell the pc / harddrive with it then use a program like killdisk or eraser.

http://www.download....4-10231814.html

IF you want to keep the HD then whenever you want to reuse it just do a FULL FORMAT, its so easy to do that and when you install windows back it will be like when you just bought the pc brand new.

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well I can't just install a second HD on a PC that already has one HD. so would i have to buy an external case for it and then format it once i connect it to windows? or what?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

well I can't just install a second HD on a PC that already has one HD. so would i have to buy an external case for it and then format it once i connect it to windows? or what?

What?? You can always add an additional harddrive to a pc that already has 1 hd. I have 3 hd on my pc..

You can go either route, install the harddrive inside of the case OR you can buy an external Case from like newegg.com and plug it in using a USB cable provided.

drpepper23

drpepper23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
so i took out the HD from one PC and I want to install it into the other. Since this HD already has windows on it, when I install it on the 2nd PC what will I have to do to make it operational? and how do I make the 2 hds into 1 hd? meaning like 1 hd is 80gb, the one im installing is 80gb, will my c drive now be 160gb?

Edited by drpepper23, 11 January 2009 - 09:00 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No, you'll have C: at 80GB, and then the next available Drive Letter @ 80GB. So if you have an optical drive that's accessed at D: and nothing else, your new drive will come in at E:, but you can change this around.

Make sure when you install it, that the original drive is still the boot drive in the BIOS, or it might try and load from the new drive instead.

If you want to make the 2 drives into one, you'd need to run them in a RAID 0 solution - but this is not advisable. For starter, you'd need to format them both to set it up, and then reinstall everything. Lastly, if one drive became corrupt or failed, you lose all the data.

Troy