Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't update to SP2

• Please log in to reply

mikell808

mikell808

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Here's the sequence of events. System was having many issues, followed malware instructions, cleaned system. Tried to uninstalled SP3. Failed. Restores sytem to a time prior to SP3. Sucess. Tried to uninstall SP2 so that I can reload windows at SP1. Uninstall Failed. Ran Re-install anyway sucess, back to SP1. Now I am trying to install SP2 using the Adminstrators file. I keep getting the same error. Here is the error message.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/2/2009
Time: 8:20:12 PM
User: N/A
Computer:

Description:
Faulting application update.exe, version 5.5.1005.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00029116.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 75 70 64 ure upd
0018: 61 74 65 2e 65 78 65 20 ate.exe
0020: 35 2e 35 2e 31 30 30 35 5.5.1005
0028: 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 6e 74 .0 in nt
0030: 64 6c 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20 dll.dll
0038: 35 2e 31 2e 32 36 30 30 5.1.2600
0040: 2e 32 31 38 30 20 61 74 .2180 at
0048: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0050: 30 30 30 32 39 31 31 36 00029116
0058: 0d 0a

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you going through Windows Updates, or you're installing standalone SP2?

Also...
Go Start>Run, type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK.
Have Windows CD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

Edited by Broni, 02 January 2009 - 11:05 PM.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Are you going through Windows Updates, or you're installing standalone SP2?

Using stand Alone.

Will run the scan you suggested and report back.

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Windows Update relies on a file that's not found on the XP CD, and the reinstall wipes out that file's references in the Registry.

There are two ways to fix this problem. First, you can kick-start the file by re-registering it with the system. Launch a Command Prompt and enter these commands:

net stop wuauserv...press enter
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll ..press enter
net start wuauserv.....press enter

That stops the Windows update service, registers the file with Windows, and restarts the service. Second, you can download and install a small utility called the Windows Update Agent. Depending on how long this problem has been going on, you may have quite a flood of new updates to install once you've fixed it. Go to www.windowsupdate.com, click Custom Install, and accept all of the critical and security updates....
while your there...look on the left side and get any hardware updates it says you need...

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

net stop wuauserv...press enter
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll ..press enter
net start wuauserv.....press enter

Thanks for the tip I will try this, it does sound like you are refering to a change that would allow me to access windows update service. I am not have a problem with that. I am using the stand alone, fully downloaded version of the xpsp2 update. My intentions will be to update to sp2 and then immediatly update to sp3, also with the stand alone file. I am currently running scans for viruses, spyware and malware again before trying to run the update again. I have already run the SFC program, it didn't give me any log file so I don't know if it did anything or not. I will find out tomorrow when I have time to run the update again. Thanks for the input

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
OK did everything suggested to this point with no success. It gets all the way to the final step of cleanup when I get the above mentioned error message. Going to do another repair installation of the OS. That should get me back to a clean copy of SP1, then I plan to installed SP1a and then if succesful try to do sp2. Open to any other suggestions.

Update. Repair install of XP Pro was successful. Install of Sp1a was successfull. Going to now try to re-install SP2. Was hoping for more input before this stage. will report back once done.

Edited by mikell808, 04 January 2009 - 05:27 PM.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
The install of SP2 failed with the same error. Came across something else that did work for me. A program called "Auto Sream" Allowed me to make take my Original XP Pro disc and the SP2 update file and somehow combine them into a single set up disc. I then ran that new disc just like running any XP setup disc and the outcome was a fully installed SP2. Here is a link to the Web page that helped me. The actual program I found by doing a google search.

http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=188337

Edited by mikell808, 05 January 2009 - 05:05 PM.

lonfish

lonfish

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a similar problem. I am trying to install SP2 from the standalone file onto Windows XP Pro SP1, but it fails in the final 'cleanup' phase with essentially the same error(Event ID 1000, faulting application update.exe, version 5.5.1005.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x00055e92). The thing is, when I reboot the computer starts just fine and appears to have installed SP2 successfully. For example, System Information now shows the OS version as 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600, and the Security Center has installed.

The first time I was concerned that it might have been interfered with by the antivirus software (McAfee 8.5i) or by the Spybot-SD Resident utility, so I uninstalled SP2, did a system restore to before the installation, rebooted to ensure that both McAfee and Spybot were off, and tried again getting the same result. (In rebooting after the install I got a box reporting that 'Notification Wnd for RNAdmin' was not responding, and I have seen on other sites the suggestion that this could be caused by RealPlayer, but I don't know if it is of any relevance?)

So my question is, do I need to worry? Is there anything else I can do to verify whether SP2 has really installed successfully?

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I have a similar problem. I am trying to install SP2 from the standalone file onto Windows XP Pro SP1, but it fails in the final 'cleanup' phase with essentially the same error(Event ID 1000, faulting application update.exe, version 5.5.1005.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.1217, fault address 0x00055e92). The thing is, when I reboot the computer starts just fine and appears to have installed SP2 successfully. For example, System Information now shows the OS version as 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600, and the Security Center has installed.

The first time I was concerned that it might have been interfered with by the antivirus software (McAfee 8.5i) or by the Spybot-SD Resident utility, so I uninstalled SP2, did a system restore to before the installation, rebooted to ensure that both McAfee and Spybot were off, and tried again getting the same result. (In rebooting after the install I got a box reporting that 'Notification Wnd for RNAdmin' was not responding, and I have seen on other sites the suggestion that this could be caused by RealPlayer, but I don't know if it is of any relevance?)

So my question is, do I need to worry? Is there anything else I can do to verify whether SP2 has really installed successfully?

First to answer you last question. Go to system properties to see what version of windows you are running. If you are not sure how, right click on MY COMPUTER, select properties. Then on the first page you will see the windows version.

Now about your installation of SP2 you're having the same problem I did. I tried everything they suggested and many other things as well. What I wrote in my last post was what eventually worked. Click on that link and read about the program called "Auto Streamer" It was very easy. You will need to have your Windows XP disc in the drive and know the location of the stand alone SP2 update file. The program will create an ISO file that you will then have to burn to a CD. The final product will be a Windows XP set up disc with Service pack two, but will still accept service pack 1 keys.

Here is a link to the download for Auto Streamer. I don't know if Geekstogo will allow me to put a download link in or not, so if it is gone just google it.

Download Auto Streamer

Edited by mikell808, 05 January 2009 - 05:09 PM.