Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR3 or DDR2?

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
If DDR3 worth it. Building a new computer for a friend and wondering how much better DDR3 is. Also witch speed of DDR3 should I go for? Looking for 4GB of RAM for a gaming PC on Newegg.

Edited by jackflash1991, 03 January 2009 - 09:02 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

If DDR3 worth it. Building a new computer for a friend and wondering how much better DDR3 is. Also witch speed of DDR3 should I go for? Looking for 4GB of RAM for a gaming PC on Newegg.

I would always start around with a motherboard first but If I were to go ahead and get a new system now I would option for DDR3 as it is not as expensive as it once was before.

What mobo's were you looking at and what CPU were you going with?

DDR3 is not a whole lot faster but if you see a good mobo that you like which only has ddr3 support then I would probably go for it.

The speed of the DDR3 depends on what CPU you go with but you can use any speed in theory. Sometimes on the HIGH speed ddr3 you might have to tweak the memory settings in bios. 1066 or 1333 ddr3 memory speed is fine and has great pricing now. You can get 2gb of that speed for $55 on newegg for the cheapest.

The ddr3 standard is the 1066/1333 Id probably go with 1333.

Edited by jrm20, 03 January 2009 - 11:07 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yeah, 4GB of DDR3 is a lot. Probably just going to stick with the DDR2 if DDR3 is not significantly better.

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Jack! Haven't seen you in a while...

My recommendation would be to stick with DDR2 for a Core 2 build, but yes DDR3 is worth it if you're building with the new Core i7.

Cheers

Troy

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Hi Jack! Haven't seen you in a while...

My recommendation would be to stick with DDR2 for a Core 2 build, but yes DDR3 is worth it if you're building with the new Core i7.

Cheers

Troy

Yeah if it was an all out build, I would probably go that way.

PS: Maybe I'll pop my head in Geeks To Go a little more often, to get myself up to date with PC technologies again.
PSS: Was playing around with Windows 7 today. Pretty cool. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 04 January 2009 - 12:01 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yeah, 4GB of DDR3 is a lot. Probably just going to stick with the DDR2 if DDR3 is not significantly better.

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600

I would definitely go with 4gb of ram for that build as ddr2 ram is very cheap. You can get 2x2gb kit for $45 but some kits are even less..
Ya stick with DDR2 with that build.