Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP problems

• Please log in to reply

tailhunter

tailhunter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a dell dimension 8300. I got a virus on it a few years back and decided to fix it (since i got a new computer). I decided to do a clean install and format the computer. Before I did this the computer would load windows (xp) but had blue vertical lines as soon as it started booting up but they would go away after a few seconds. So I did the fresh install and formatted the computer and I tried installing windows xp sp2. If I let the computer reboot after the install i get white horizontal lines. I tried updating the bios to the A04 update dell has because it let me do it with a floppy. I have not gotten the computer finish installing windows yet. Does anyone have suggestions for me to try? I am not sure why there are blue lines only when i begin booting the computer.

Advertisements

tailhunter

tailhunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried a few more times but I still get the same thing. I think one of the two cd drives is broken, could this do it? I have also thought of trying to install a unix based OS to see if it will load but I dont know anything about them. Where can I get one?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
You can try linux, I use Ubuntu and you can download it Here

It may be a bad install disk, or bad drive. When booting from the Ubuntu DVD you can run it from there without installing. You can also check the DVD. These may be good tests to try first. If they succeed then try installing it on the drive.

tailhunter

tailhunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you ever heard of these blue lines I am talking about? It almost seems like the "DELL" name that should come up are smeared down the screen. I am not sure if that is why windows isnt installing but it is certainly annoying.

I think I am going to try ubuntu. I think it seems to be a pretty complete OS.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have not. But when I hear blue lines like that I think video card / video driver / bad monitor. But booting off and running off an ubuntu disk would prove if the hardware was bad. Having XP not install could mean a bad hard drive as well. Its hard to really gauge where the issue is coming from. Getting something on there working would be a good first step.

I have recently stopped using XP as my main machine and completely function on Ubuntu for home and work. I keep XP around for music (too much to copy over) and some windows apps I need for work that are not on linux. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful on disgnosing your issue though.

tailhunter

tailhunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Its fine. I just downloaded unbuntu and I am going to try it. If something else happens I will update. This unbuntu seems to have everything covered. If it works I might just leave it.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Start up another thread if you have any Ubuntu problems, I'll gladly help there too.